#1 New game mini

New game mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:25 AM

Hey folks,

I let my mate drive my mini for the first time the other day, he's not a massive car guy but really wanted a go. It was funny seeing him struggle with old car stuff that I've just got accustomed to over the years. (Video here if anyone wants to see - https://youtu.be/5qUhd1zUNmg It's a bit sweary but funny ??)

He said it was one the best experiences of his life which I thought was a pretty cool endorsement coming from a non car guy!

It made me think of my first ever drive of a mini and how I instantly fell in love with how cool it was and how much fun it was despite being ropey as hell ?. After having it for a good few years now it's easy to forget at times how awesome and individual it is and why I fell in love with it in the first place... However crap a day you're having, it just always manages to raise a smile!

#2 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:26 AM

That's funny!! Has it got indicators? I'm a good driver...the indicators are still on. Lol. You forget how used people are to power steering and more so, modern brake systems. Little wonder he thought they weren't working.

As for my first drive, I think it was my mum's clubman or a mate's back in 1982. It's a while ago so difficult to remember. Even then I remember the steering accuracy and the oddly offset pedals. But yes! A big smile on my face!

#3 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:31 AM

Ha ha, I like it when he puts his palm on the wheel to steer, like in a modern car with power steering.

My first mini drive was my first drive altogether, so I learned to drive thinking it's 'normal'. I went from my 3rd Mini to an Alfa 145 Cloverleaf. THAT was a shock. But even compared to other classics, they're such a unique driving experience. 

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:23 AM

My Mum had a Clubman estate in the early eighties but the most memorable moment was when my older brother got his first car.  It must have been 1989 and he turned up in this sandglow '78 Mini 1000.  It was such an antidote to the dreariness my parents were by then driving around in.  We went everywhere flat out and I fell in love with the experience, the ridiculousness, the smell, the sounds and particularly the way it cornered.  After that my first car had to be a Mini.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:58 AM

My first Mini drive was in 1961 when my best friend got one as a present for his 21st birthday. It was a tartan red 850 and it seemed so advanced in terms of road-holding, handling and performance (yes, really).

We are still best friends and we shared the driving/navigating in my 1964 Cooper 'S' last October on the Lombard Bath Rally 2018 and we'll do this event again together this year. My friend now lives in Arizona, so it a bit of a long trip, but he reckons it is worth it to drive a Mini again with me, this year being the 60th anniversary of doing our first proper rally together, in a Morris Minor.

#6 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:28 PM

my first drive of a mini was driving my mums wreck of an estate (countryman?) on an abandoned airstrip in Bahrain in the late '70s - the old runway was a popular place for a weekend barbecue and after a few beers it was pretty common for parents to get the kids to drive.  I suspect this was more for their entertainment than our education as they watched us kangarooing up and down the strip accompanied by the sound of grinding gears and random use of indicators, windscreen wipers and horn.  Cant do that anymore as they built the F1 track over it..

#7 surfblue

surfblue

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 04:56 PM

1985, I was 11 and had been given a 1976 Mini 1000 which was a running MOT failure from a scrapyard. Learned to drive in it and fell in love with it and all things Mini.

#8 Bike1769

Bike1769

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:51 PM

1987, I was 17. My sister asked me if I wanted her mini as she would never learn to drive in it and someone had bumped it out into the middle of her street as a joke. 2 days later I drove a mini for the first time from Aberdeen to Durham on L plates. Best driving lesson you can get.

#9 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:16 PM

Early 2004 my parents bought me a “racing green” for my first car after i had passed my test, i had already owned a clubman gt rep by then but it was a dog and i never drove it as i hadnt got my license yet. Id wanted a mini since i was about 10, and that first drive was the best thing ever! I loved that car and i learnt so much on it, i eneded up parting with it a few years later after putting a very torquey 1330 in it and scaring myself to death when the brakes failed when i was going faster than i should of! I was young and had some of my best times in that car. And after many years of variouse tuned jap cars i have another mini that im restoring and to be honest i cant wait for my second “first drive” as it will have been at least 15years since i have driven one. And i can not wait for it

#10 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:24 PM

Learnt to drive in a Mini back in 1965. Didn't manage to buy one until 1968 though. Clapped out 1961 850 with a hole in the sump, filled with aluminium plate and body filler.

#11 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:54 PM

That's brilliant,you both gave me and the wife a good laugh, thanks.

Mine was probably driving my now wife's first car home from Rochdale to Stafford, we paid £550 for an 86 Mayfair in 1998,it wasn't mint but probably £2500-3000 now.

#12 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:16 PM

1978 My first mini OEW morris 848cc If only I still had it

#13 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:40 PM

My First Mk1 Mini In 1974:-

My first '65 Mk1 Morris Mini-Minor (Tweed Grey) shown here in 1974 before and.......just after I had 'upgraded' the badges, door mirrors, grille and rear lights to Mk3, fitted 'Tilling' winding windows, smoke tinted glass, rear wiper, roof aerial, some 6x10 Mambas with 165 Goodyear Rally Specials, centre exit exhaust and new reflective numberplates + wiper aerofoils !

http://www.theminifo...1-mini-in-1974/

Edited by mab01uk, 18 March 2019 - 10:42 PM.

#14 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:11 PM

Hey folks,

I let my mate drive my mini for the first time the other day, he's not a massive car guy but really wanted a go. It was funny seeing him struggle with old carntly fell in love with....

Way cool...

#15 cooperdan

cooperdan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 3,729 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:08 PM

Back in 2006 i went to view mini in essex, and when i went for that first test drive before purchasing. The sheer enjoyment and feeling of driving a mini was amazing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users