• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#76 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:54 PM

It's such a scam.

Pay the BBC so that you can watch other free channels because all the BBC programmes are effing shitey.

I can't even explain my hatred for the leaches! When I was 17 on £3 something an hour and trying to run my own flat, they stole over £160 from me in 5 months... HOW TF in 5 months can you justify not only taking the full yearly fee, but another £160 something on top?!?!

From a struggling 17 year old... I hate the scummy scumbags.

Not only that, but I called them time and time again trying to get MY money back.

They fobbed me off and lied and lied, the last phone call I made ended with them ensuring me that the "refund paperwork" I had to fill out and send off would be sent before I moved city 3 weeks after the phone call...

3 weeks go by and SOMEHOW it doesn't arrive, the day after I left, a former neighbour tells me it arrived after I'd already left... Tell me that was an accident, they're literal flaming scum!!!!

Oh, I say, you really don't like them very much, do you!

#77 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:19 AM

It's such a scam.

Pay the BBC so that you can watch other free channels because all the BBC programmes are effing shitey.

I can't even explain my hatred for the leaches! When I was 17 on £3 something an hour and trying to run my own flat, they stole over £160 from me in 5 months... HOW TF in 5 months can you justify not only taking the full yearly fee, but another £160 something on top?!?!

From a struggling 17 year old... I hate the scummy scumbags.

Not only that, but I called them time and time again trying to get MY money back.

They fobbed me off and lied and lied, the last phone call I made ended with them ensuring me that the "refund paperwork" I had to fill out and send off would be sent before I moved city 3 weeks after the phone call...

3 weeks go by and SOMEHOW it doesn't arrive, the day after I left, a former neighbour tells me it arrived after I'd already left... Tell me that was an accident, they're literal flaming scum!!!!

Oh, I say, you really don't like them very much, do you!

If you put more effort into phoning the BBC, you wouldn't have time to watch TV.

#78 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 14 July 2020 - 11:54 AM

Revoke the TV licence using legislation:-

https://petition.par...etitions/300118

#79 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:55 PM

I've just been told that I wil no longer get a free TV licence and will have to buy one again from August.

I have signed the petition to prevent this and written a letter of complaint to the BBC.

Of course, the licence should be abolished, or lack of one at least de-criminalised.

#80 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:29 AM

I've just been told that I wil no longer get a free TV licence and will have to buy one again from August.

I have signed the petition to prevent this and written a letter of complaint to the BBC.

Of course, the licence should be abolished, or lack of one at least de-criminalised.

Personally I think its disgusting that they have removed the free licences for the over 75's, there are a lot of elderly people who are struggling to make ends meet and their TV is their link to the outside world and their entertainment to make them feel less isolated, especially over the last few months.

I have a feeling that removing free licences for the over 75's might be the straw that breaks the camels back and if they do decriminalise the licence I can see a lot of people refusing to buy one on the basis that they don't watch the BBC, we very rarely watch anything on BBC but we have to have a licence to watch the others, its absoutly crazy.

Its time the BBC found another way to fund themselves like all the other stations do and it its a subscription system then at least you have a choice to pay and watch the BBC or not pay and just watch the other channels.

I remember when I was renovating my house around 2010 and I wasn't living in it, I declared that I didn't need a licence (at one point I didn't even have a roof or chimney let alone an aerial to put up there) and the threatening letters they sent me were astounding.  I kept calling and telling them I didn't need one and they kept threatening me, in the end I said i'm not corresponding with you any further and if your not happy I will see you in court and funnily enough the letters stopped after that.  When I moved in I reluctantly bought a licence but that was a couple of years later.

#81 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:39 AM

I love watching the TV licence 'goons' from Capita on YouTube who go to houses without licences and try to put the squeeze on the occupants.
Just wait for the backlash when an 85 year old is sent to prison for not buying a licence.

#82 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 09:46 AM

Edited by mab01uk, 17 July 2020 - 09:49 AM.

#83 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:46 PM

Personally I think its disgusting that they have removed the free licences for the over 75's, there are a lot of elderly people who are struggling to make ends meet and their TV is their link to the outside world and their entertainment to make them feel less isolated, especially over the last few months.

I have a feeling that removing free licences for the over 75's might be the straw that breaks the camels back and if they do decriminalise the licence I can see a lot of people refusing to buy one on the basis that they don't watch the BBC, we very rarely watch anything on BBC but we have to have a licence to watch the others, its absoutly crazy.

Its time the BBC found another way to fund themselves like all the other stations do and it its a subscription system then at least you have a choice to pay and watch the BBC or not pay and just watch the other channels.

I remember when I was renovating my house around 2010 and I wasn't living in it, I declared that I didn't need a licence (at one point I didn't even have a roof or chimney let alone an aerial to put up there) and the threatening letters they sent me were astounding.  I kept calling and telling them I didn't need one and they kept threatening me, in the end I said i'm not corresponding with you any further and if your not happy I will see you in court and funnily enough the letters stopped after that.  When I moved in I reluctantly bought a licence but that was a couple of years later.

They still do this, and send people round (not this year obviously...) I stopped telling them every 6 months as they required so I just let them post me their threats, keeps the Royal Mail in business at least!

With online streaming now being so successful, I cannot see the BBC staying as they are for much longer.

I don't agree with them taking away the free license but I understand it's business and they have to make up for the loss of subscribers. The lack of intervention from the government is the most offensive part of it I think.

Edited by Globule, 19 July 2020 - 10:51 PM.

#84 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 12:26 PM

The most offensive part of it I think is the high salaries that are paid to BBC presenters and people like Gary Lineker using taxpayers (who have no choice even if they don't watch BBC) money!

Here's a list of the biggest earners at the BBC in 2018-19:
  • Gary Lineker - £1,750,000-£1,754,999. ...
  • Chris Evans - £1,250,000-£1,254,999. ...
  • Graham Norton - £610,000-£614,999. ...
  • Huw Edwards - £490,000-£494,999. ...
  • Steve Wright - £465,000-£469,999. ...
  • Alan Shearer - £440,000-£444,999. ...
  • Andrew Marr - £390,000-£394,999.

#85 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:28 AM

What we need is a campaign of civil disobediance where no pensioner over-75 buys a licence. They can't lock us all up.

I am still debating whether to buy a licence. My wife is a bit more law-abiding than I, so I may have to.

#86 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:46 PM

• Twitter users blasted the Breakfast host Naga Munchetty for backing the £157.50 licence fee.
  • Naga Munchetty, said:  'We provide a service and make sure people are educated'
  • 'If the BBC licence fee is 'worth it', as this well-paid BBC presenter insists, they'd have no difficulty getting folk to pay it as a voluntary subscription without criminal records for non-payment.
  • 'Naga Munchetty is paid in excess of £200,000 per year. Over 75s state pension is ~ £9000 per year.....

• Radio 2 presenter Ken Bruce has called for a 'cull of managers' at the BBC and demanded that they 'justify their existence'.

• The veteran DJ, has criticised how licence fee money is spent and believes it should be used for programming rather than office bureaucrats and luxuries such as the director-general's car.

• Ken Bruce is the longest serving DJ on Radio 2, having hosted the mid-morning slot since 1992. 

He earned £280,000 last year, though that is less than Radio 2 colleagues including Jeremy Vine (£290,000), Zoe Ball (£370,000) and Steve Wright (£465,000).

• Lord Hall of Birkenhead, the BBC's director-general, is entitled to a car and driver worth £30,000 a year, on top of his £450,000 annual salary.

#87 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:13 AM

They just don't live in the real World. They live in a protected bubble and have no idea what it is like for some pensioners who are not quite eligible for pension credits and struggle to eat, keep warm and pay for the normal living expenses.

I can't tell you what I think of them, but I'll give you a clue: it begins with a 'W' and ends in 'anchors'  ;D .

#88 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:44 PM

BBC'S 2020 PAY REVEALED.....

How can BBC justify these obscene salaries while stripping over 75s of their free TV licences?

Today

Nick Robinson – £299,999

Mishal Husain – £269,999

Martha Kearney – £259,999

Justin Webb – £254,999

World at One

Sarah Montague – £254,999

PM

Evan Davis – £279,999 

BBC News at Six and Ten

Huw Edwards – £469,000

George Alagiah – £329,999

Sophie Raworth – £279,999

Question Time

Fiona Bruce – £454,999 

Andrew Marr Show

Andrew Marr – £364,999 

Andrew Neil Show

Andrew Neil – £174,999 

Newsnight

Emily Maitlis – £374,999

Kirsty Wark – £219,999

Victoria Derbyshire

Victoria Derbyshire – £219,999

BBC News

Clive Myrie – £219,999

Reeta Chakrabarti – £184,999

Ben Brown – £169,999

Carrie Gracie – £159,999

On-Air editors and correspondents

Laura Kuenssberg – £294,999

Jon Sopel – £239,999

Jeremy Bowen – £224,999

Katya Adler – £214,999

John Pienaar – £169,999

Faisal Islam – £159,999

Non-politics or news

Gary Lineker – £1.75million

Zoe Ball – £1.35million

Graham Norton – £729,999

Claudia Winkleman – £729,999

Steve Wright – £479,999

Vanessa Feltz – £409,999

Clare Balding – £159,000

Mary Berry – £219,000

Edited by mab01uk, 15 September 2020 - 06:46 PM.

#89 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 08:04 PM

These pay rate are didgusting. For example, how can some woman be worth £1.35M for playing a few records and talking drivel every morning. Now I used to listen to Terry Wogan every morning and he was worth whatever he was paid, but not this silly woman.
As for Lineker being paid almost as much for talking about people kicking a ball around a field, well it is almost beyond belief.
And this is what they want the pensioners to help fund.
I, for one, will not be buying a licence any time soon and goodness knows how long it will take to try to bully everyone into licence buying.
I do believe that if one writes to the BBC explaining that a vulnerable OAP lives at a certain address and that no visitors are allowed without prior permission, then they are basically stuffed.

#90 mister bridger

mister bridger

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:53 PM

Letter received today with forms/info for my Mum to start paying her licence again. She's 89, has dementia and, for the time being still lives in her own home with support. I have control over her finances, but not power of attorney. What to do? She can afford it, but there is a matter of principle here. If I don't pay it on her behalf will they send goons to her door or prosecute her? Advice welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users