#16 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

one beginner's question....can I use all of those advises and bearings for A+ 1275 gearbox originally fitted to SPI Cooper engine?

AFAIK those are just 4 synchro rod change boxes, so yes. Do yourself a favour and check out Guessworks website, or contact the man himself. 

Actually, sorry but there was some 6 different types of 4 Syncho Boxes (5 in Rod Shift) with 4 different Ratios (excluding the Final Drive) and 3 distinct types of internal shaftings.

Nothing's ever straightforward !

#17 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

Thanks a lot Moke! In which case I believe the list I have here is the full set of bearings I'll need to order?

1 double roller bearing - AAU1365

1 single roller bearing - ADU7619

2 diff bearings - AHU1856 (these are for either side of the differential right?)

1 idler gear bearing -  TUK100320

1st gear needle roller - AAU1815

2 2nd/3rd gear needle roller - AAU1816

1 1st motion layshaft roller - 13H9513

1 large layshaft needle roller - CHM141

PS the reason I'm not ordering a kit is because I already have the layshaft rollers. Been ordering stuff for my rebuild in bits to keep shipping and taxes low.

Just working from your List, I fit the following;-

1 double roller bearing - AAU1365

1 single roller bearing - ADU7619

2 diff bearings - AHU1856 (these are for either side of the differential right? yes)

2 idler gear bearing -  TUK100320

2 1st motion and layshaft roller - 13H9513

1 large layshaft needle roller - CHM141

These are very much optional and I really doubt you'll need to replace them;-

1st gear needle roller - AAU1815

2 2nd/3rd gear needle roller - AAU1816

Given their high cost I'd suggest looking first. These Bearings don't 'work' at all hard in the Gearboxes. When they are spinning, they are completely unloaded, when loaded, they are not spinning. I've only ever found a small number of them that need replacing.

Also, while you're in there, replace the Syncro Hub Springs (6 all together);-

https://www.minispar...|Back to search

#18 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:01 PM

I bow to your superior knowledge MokeSpider. I must say I had no idea there were three distinct internal shaft sizes used over the years. I thought the varying ratios etc used the same bearings. Learn something new every day.

#19 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:07 PM

I bow to your superior knowledge MokeSpider.

Thanks for the kind comment, but I'm only learning like the next guy too !

#20 Inno

Inno

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:19 AM

one beginner's question....can I use all of those advises and bearings for A+ 1275 gearbox originally fitted to SPI Cooper engine?

AFAIK those are just 4 synchro rod change boxes, so yes. Do yourself a favour and check out Guessworks website, or contact the man himself.

Actually, sorry but there was some 6 different types of 4 Syncho Boxes (5 in Rod Shift) with 4 different Ratios (excluding the Final Drive) and 3 distinct types of internal shaftings.

Nothing's ever straightforward !

How that affects list of consumables (bearings, rollers, seals, gaskets, bushes and baulk rings) for rebuilt? -

Not talking about gear ratios and different gears that I do not plan to change anyhow?

Is there a way to recognize different type without reassembling? - 1992 SPI Cooper 3.2 diff gearbox?

Edited by Inno, 22 March 2019 - 04:21 AM.

#21 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:00 AM

How that affects list of consumables (bearings, rollers, seals, gaskets, bushes and baulk rings) for rebuilt? -

Not talking about gear ratios and different gears that I do not plan to change anyhow?

Is there a way to recognize different type without reassembling? - 1992 SPI Cooper 3.2 diff gearbox?

What you should need would be the same as per the list at the top of the page.

Generally for all Synchro Boxes;-

Synchro Hub Springs, Baulk Rings, Bushes and Gaskets are the same (with only one gasket being different for Remote Boxes).

The 1st Motion Shaft Bearing while interchangeable, though there was 2 types of 1st Motion

Mainshaft Bearings, again, while interchangeable, there was around 5 different Main Shaft Bearings used..

Idler Gear Bearings can be one of 2 types, the change over was about 1979

Spigot Bearing - again, one of 2 types, the change over was about 1977

Diff Bearings - there was 3 types used throughout production however, they all interchange.

Layshaft and Bearings - Early types had 2 Bearings on the 'big end' and late had one, both the same size. On the smaller end, there was 2 types used here, the change over was about 1977 or early 1978

Mainshaft, there was 3 types used here, the first was from 1968 to 1977, the next went from 1977 to 1986 or 87, then the last (awful thing) was used to the end.

First Motion Shaft - as far as Bearings go, there was 2 types of Spigot Bearings, with the change occurring with the first change of the Main Shaft, however, as there were different Gear Ratio Sets used, there was in fact some 6 different types over the coarse of production.

Selector Forks - there was 3 types used, the first from 1968 to 1973, then from 73 to 86-ish, then to end of production.

#22 Inno

Inno

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:02 AM

What you should need would be the same as per the list at the top of the page.

Generally for all Synchro Boxes;-

Synchro Hub Springs, Baulk Rings, Bushes and Gaskets are the same (with only one gasket being different for Remote Boxes).

The 1st Motion Shaft Bearing while interchangeable, though there was 2 types of 1st Motion

Mainshaft Bearings, again, while interchangeable, there was around 5 different Main Shaft Bearings used..

Idler Gear Bearings can be one of 2 types, the change over was about 1979

Spigot Bearing - again, one of 2 types, the change over was about 1977

Diff Bearings - there was 3 types used throughout production however, they all interchange.

Layshaft and Bearings - Early types had 2 Bearings on the 'big end' and late had one, both the same size. On the smaller end, there was 2 types used here, the change over was about 1977 or early 1978

Mainshaft, there was 3 types used here, the first was from 1968 to 1977, the next went from 1977 to 1986 or 87, then the last (awful thing) was used to the end.

First Motion Shaft - as far as Bearings go, there was 2 types of Spigot Bearings, with the change occurring with the first change of the Main Shaft, however, as there were different Gear Ratio Sets used, there was in fact some 6 different types over the coarse of production.

Selector Forks - there was 3 types used, the first from 1968 to 1973, then from 73 to 86-ish, then to end of production.

wow...thanks a lot!!

that means that after 1987 they are all basically the same, but even so all consumables from your list are ok for me....great!

Would you suggest new Mainshaft since obviously I have "awful" one :ohno:?

#23 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:22 AM

The new ones are just as 'awful'.

See what condition it's in, the thing that gives the most issues with them is the Spigot that the Spigot Bearing runs on, but of course, the whole shaft needs to be checked.

The 'awful' part of them is actually where the Main Shaft Bearing mounts. On these later Shafts they were made to be in interference fit on the Bearing. What this usually results in is destruction of the Mainshaft Bearing on disassembly and needlessly so. They are only about 1/2 of 1 thousands oversize. I dress them down with a Diamond Lap to be 'on size' as all the earlier shafts were. The other thing with these shafts is the thread for the Pinion Nut was changed, so they have a different (and for us in the colonies - odd ball) nut.

#24 Inno

Inno

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:47 PM

also how would the RHP bearing compare to the MED one?

can you read? look at the pictures. they are the same.

i guess im confused as to what the "spigot bearing" referred to by MED is and if it isthe same as the 1st motion single roller bearing?

These are all slang terms but some that are commonly used.

The Spigot Bearing is the one that fits on the Nose of the Main Shaft, that the Inboard end of the First Motion Shaft runs on.

Seen here;-

WsoYbsU.jpg

and runs on here

uOFw9fw.jpg

The Outrigger Bearing is the one that fits on the Outboard end of the First Motion Shaft and nestles inside the Transfer Housing (referred to in the above extract that I posted up ^)

This is the Inner part of the Outrigger Bearing

qWq7C43.jpg

I thought I got it but I didn't........

Totally confused with and would appreciate a bit of help with following:

• Spigot or pilot or first shaft nose or first motion bearing AAU8424 - is it two pieces bearing and it's outer race goes in to the flywheel housing and inner part with rollers stays on a 1st motion shaft as on your last picture - is that right?

On the first picture above you say spigot bearing is the one that fits on the Nose of the Main Shaft, that the Inboard end of the First Motion Shaft runs on....I got the impression that is a needle roller 13H9513

• Outrigger bearing - is it another name for AAU8424 - spigot or pilot bearing?

• single roller bearing ADU7619  - Is that the one holding first motion shaft in the gearbox housing?

#25 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:07 PM

These are all slang terms but some that are commonly used.

The Spigot Bearing is the one that fits on the Nose of the Main Shaft, that the Inboard end of the First Motion Shaft runs on.

The Outrigger Bearing is the one that fits on the Outboard end of the First Motion Shaft and nestles inside the Transfer Housing (referred to in the above extract that I posted up ^)

This is the Inner part of the Outrigger Bearing

qWq7C43.jpg

Isnt that "outrigger bearing" AAU8424 and in your picture have you removed the outer face of the bearing?

#26 Inno

Inno

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:34 PM

.....may be it is my English.....so "outrigger" was not a name of the bearing but only expression for "one part" of the bearing that is out of the whole?

But it is actually spigot or pilot or first shaft nose or first motion bearing?...many names around for one bearing....

#27 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:58 PM

the problem with slang... words can mean different things in different countries!

#28 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:39 PM

Just look at the pictures and the parts lists on the various mini supply websites - all pretty simple :shades:

#29 Inno

Inno

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

Just look at the pictures and the parts lists on the various mini supply websites - all pretty simple :shades:

did it..all clear....different names confused me a bit...

#30 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:42 PM

did it..all clear....different names confused me a bit...

That's why I did mention these were 'slang' names and put up some pictures to go with the slang terms I use. I've heard them called all sorts of different things over the years, many I can't print here :D

Working from the Factory Parts Books, they refer to the Spigot Bearing as " Bearing - Needle Roller - Steel Cage " and the Outrigger Bearing as " Bearing - Roller - 1st Motion Shaft " - hardly helpful !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users