4 replies to this topic

#1 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:47 PM

Could someone tell me the legal stance on fitting a sunstrip in my mini. I have been advised that it is ok however if it has decals or logo,s ( writing ) on it, then this must be in any way in the path of the sweep of the wipers?? is this true or have I got it wrong?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:04 PM

nothing solid can be in the swept area.  no there is a grey area about it if it is on the inside of the screen.

but external. if the wipers wipe it it is a fail. some people fit shorter wipers but then you may have issues with reduced swept area.

#3 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:05 AM

nothing solid can be in the swept area.  no there is a grey area about it if it is on the inside of the screen.

but external. if the wipers wipe it it is a fail. some people fit shorter wipers but then you may have issues with reduced swept area.

Ok thanks for that 

,............................................ so a graduated see through sun visor/screen is ok but if it has solid graphics on it then they must not infringe on the seep area of the wipers...........

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:10 PM

Fit one about 3" deep on the inside, but don't put "Dwayne & Tracey" on it  ;D .

#5 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:00 AM

I think it all depends on the individual MOT test centre, I've never failed an MOT because of a sun strip and I've had several installed on different cars over the years.

We currently have one installed on our T5 show van (on the outside) that the wipers run over - it passed it's MOT in January and they didn't mention it (they did mention the blacked out reflectors on the rear bumper, so I'm guessing they would have also mentioned the sun strip if it was meant to be a fail/advisory).

Plus, a sun strip costs about £10 and takes 10mins to fit - so even if you have to remove it for an MOT and replace it, it's not the end of the world. Just ask the test centre when you book it in and remove it, if needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users