10 replies to this topic

#1 G'Racy

G'Racy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:54 AM

Need a new set of 165/60R12 tyres, just wondering what you guys would recommend?
Looking for performance over price as I only do a couple of thousand miles a year.

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:03 AM

The only real choice is the Yokohama 165/60x12. A very good tyre.

#3 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:16 AM

I have the nankangs and have to say I’m quite impressed with them for the price. Probably not suitable for a rocket ship but for your average road going mini absolutely fine.

#4 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:18 PM

It is a shame Bridgestone Europe don't see fit to make these for the European market, although Bridgestone UK did seem interested if they could see a demand.

Bridgestone-Potenza-GIII.jpg

https://tyres.cardek...60-r12-tubeless

#5 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:30 PM

Falken's new'ish ZE914 are available in this size. I've had the ZE912s on a few small modern FWD cars and they have been good grip wise in the wet and dry. Looks like most suppliers in the UK are limited to Nankang, Falken and the Yoko A539s in that size.

I guess Bridgestone don't think the market is big enough or those tyres don't measure up to E-ratings!

Edited by gazza82, 22 March 2019 - 12:31 PM.

#6 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:59 PM

I guess Bridgestone don't think the market is big enough or those tyres don't measure up to E-ratings!

The guy from Bridgestone said 

I strongly suspect that Tyres made for the Indian Market have different rubber compounds that are used to produce tyres and have a higher temperature tolerance that the rubber that is used in the tyres that are produced for the Northern European markets.

I've no idea if that's true, guess he should know though, so he mentioned tooling up for production in Europe if they were to sell them. I've seen them on a few Japanese Mini's too.

Edited by Artstu, 22 March 2019 - 01:01 PM.

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:41 PM

I use Falken Ze914 on par with the yoko in the wet and lasts alot longer than a yoko

#8 leyland73

leyland73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:02 PM

Dunlop Aquajet, expensive for what they are, but hard to look at an 1100 Special without a set of these tyres on. Car doesn’t get a lot of use so can’t say about how well they wear.

Attached Files

#9 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:04 PM

Need a new set of 165/60R12 tyres, just wondering what you guys would recommend?
Looking for performance over price as I only do a couple of thousand miles a year.

Dunlop Aquajet, expensive for what they are, but hard to look at an 1100 Special without a set of these tyres on. Car doesn’t get a lot of use so can’t say about how well they wear.

Guess you missed the bit about the size required ?

#10 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:01 PM

In actual performance over price the Yokohama A048R wins hands down but they are not E marked anymore so your insurance would be invalid if things went bad.

The best road tyre in 165-12" is the  Yokohama A539, awesome tyres for dry grip and pretty good in the wet.

I have used the Nankang and the Falken ZE914 and although they are miles better than the old Falken they are still lacking compared to the A0539`s

Buy as new a date possible on the tyres and replace after six years as they will be shiny and useless.

Tyres are cheap body work and human life are not and the yokos as much as I like them will be binned at six years and not sold on to some poor soul as I see time and time again.

#11 G'Racy

G'Racy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:55 AM

Thanks guys, Yokohama it is then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users