j0-rdan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:01 PM

Hi all,

I’ve just finished replacing the wiring loom with a minispares (auto sparks) pre-made option after struggling with the old wiring mess for years. At the same time I reintroduced the 4 way fuse box that had long been disposed off.

My question is that the glass fuses seem to rattle about and without driving an inch since the loom change I’ve already had 10+ instances where I’m losing functions until I give them a roll about.

This is a brand new box/fuses from minispares. Is there a trick to improving the tightness?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:15 PM

I don't have one, but I'd imagine removing the fuses and squeezing the terminals together with a pair of needle nose pliers would do the job.

#3 j0-rdan

j0-rdan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:21 PM

I don't have one, but I'd imagine removing the fuses and squeezing the terminals together with a pair of needle nose pliers would do the job.

Thanks Wiggy, I’m starting to think maybe I was better off without one! The metal that holds the fuses is really thin and springy, doesn’t seem to want to bend.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:30 PM

I always refurbish an original Lucas made box, the modern (new) boxes aren't up to standard

#5 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:34 PM

Might be easier if you remove the contacts from the fuse box. It appears they'll come out the bottom of the fuse box.

Bit of a ball ache, but they'll be easier to 'manipulate'.

#6 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 24 March 2019 - 02:50 AM

I think it's terrible that you have to do this, but every new one I've bought has been this way till I found an original Lucas New Old Stock - that one was made of much better stuff.

#7 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:37 PM

I recently got a new one from Moss (4 fuse type)  - it's absolutely fine so perhaps there are still good o/e spec ones out there.......

#8 Manicmonkey85

Manicmonkey85

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Local Club: Aberdeen Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:54 PM

I had electrical gremlins and replaced my 4 way fuse box and had the same issue but in a comical way the fuse would rotate as the car idled. Like others have said pinch the terminals and also if you add a dob of solder to the fuse ends. I found the brand new fuses from the likes of Halfords we’re not a good fit either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users