40 replies to this topic

#16 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:06 PM

Apparently.... when filming the Dukes of Hazzard they got through a several  Dodge Chargers per episode.... none would survive the classic car jump scenes  - a requisite in almost every episode

and had at least 2 for close up shots and one for the trailer for "moving" shots. So which would count as the original ? 

Though Daisy didn't need a stunt pair of "Daisy Dukes"  (ask yer dad !) 

In Mad Men there were x2 1962 cadillac coupe de ville  - again one for trailer shots - other for close up static shots

So maybe its only shows like Morse where you could say for sure its the one Jag  used in the show 

#17 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:20 AM

All productions are different, most cars these days are borrowed, unless of course it is going to be destroyed, or kept for future like Bond etc.

More often than not the art department will use DVLA unissued screen cleared number plates. Just run any plate in a TV commercial /TV shows / film through DVLA and it will come back no match, unless of course bought for the project and kept.

Apparently.... when filming the Dukes of Hazzard they got through a several  Dodge Chargers per episode.... none would survive the classic car jump scenes  - a requisite in almost every episode

and had at least 2 for close up shots and one for the trailer for "moving" shots. So which would count as the original ? 

In Mad Men there were x2 1962 cadillac coupe de ville  - again one for trailer shots - other for close up static shots

So maybe its only shows like Morse where you could say for sure its the one Jag  used in the show

Edited by beardylondon, 28 March 2019 - 09:12 AM.

#18 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:09 AM

dupe post, ignore

Edited by beardylondon, 28 March 2019 - 09:10 AM.

#19 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:25 PM

Production companies have large lots full of cars for use in films, TV etc.

So while things like the Duke's Charger might be unique, other more normal stuff will probably have been used in a ton of different films, especially non-car movies where the scene just requires the star to arrive on location, get out and speak some lines.

#20 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:34 PM

Maybe in the USA, certainly this does not happen currently in the UK, as it costs too much to store and insure. Everything is done on a production by production basis, with the exception of long running things like Potter, or a big TV drama etc

Production companies have large lots full of cars for use in films, TV etc.

So while things like the Duke's Charger might be unique, other more normal stuff will probably have been used in a ton of different films, especially non-car movies where the scene just requires the star to arrive on location, get out and speak some lines.

#21 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:43 PM

Cars are treated like extras in the UK. I have a friend who has been an extra in several big TV shows (he works for himself and has too much spare time on his hands!!). They do the same with cars, and have a databse of privately owned vehicles where the owner is willing to let it be used on set for a small fee. I wouldn't let them touch mine with a barge pole!! 

#22 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:27 AM

Well...

If theres no chance of me getting the original Dodge Charger from the TV series  .........I'll settle for a worn pair of the original Daisy Dukes  :gimme:  :gimme:  :gimme:

#23 Dan the Van

Dan the Van

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:12 PM

I'm off to a meeting next week, the guy I'm seeing is BIG into classic cars, mainly very high end stuff, apparently he has the red mini out of the Italian job, could this be true I wonder

Shooter

So,did you find out any more???.

#24 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:33 PM

I'm off to a meeting next week, the guy I'm seeing is BIG into classic cars, mainly very high end stuff, apparently he has the red mini out of the Italian job, could this be true I wonder

Shooter

So,did you find out any more???.
No the bloke was a bit of a idiot so give him the spanish

Edited by yeti21586, 30 March 2019 - 09:47 PM.
Try and keep the language as though you were talking to the queen!

#25 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:54 PM

All productions are different, most cars these days are borrowed, unless of course it is going to be destroyed, or kept for future like Bond etc.

More often than not the art department will use DVLA unissued screen cleared number plates. Just run any plate in a TV commercial /TV shows / film through DVLA and it will come back no match, unless of course bought for the project and kept.

Apparently.... when filming the Dukes of Hazzard they got through a several Dodge Chargers per episode.... none would survive the classic car jump scenes - a requisite in almost every episode

Though Daisy didn't need a stunt pair of "Daisy Dukes" (ask yer dad !)

In Mad Men there were x2 1962 cadillac coupe de ville - again one for trailer shots - other for close up static shots

So maybe its only shows like Morse where you could say for sure its the one Jag used in the show

I enjoy checking the cars in TV shows, most of them come back as what they are when I check.

#26 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:54 PM

Apparently.... when filming the Dukes of Hazzard they got through a several Dodge Chargers per episode.... none would survive the classic car jump scenes - a requisite in almost every episode

Though Daisy didn't need a stunt pair of "Daisy Dukes" (ask yer dad !)

In Mad Men there were x2 1962 cadillac coupe de ville - again one for trailer shots - other for close up static shots

So maybe its only shows like Morse where you could say for sure its the one Jag used in the show

I enjoy checking the cars in TV shows, most of them come back as what they are when I check.

#27 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:59 PM

Probably bought for the productions, or owner doesn't care.

#28 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:01 PM

I thought it was just me pausing the Telly to run the Reg through the vehicle enquiry website. Heh heh.

Minder is my favourite programme for doing it.

#29 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 04:22 PM

I do it on things like scott and Bailey or dramas. I always check wheeler dealers, most haven't seen the road since completion, lol.

#30 MuppetDonkey

MuppetDonkey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 04:38 PM

Unless my memory is failing, I'm sure you even see one buckling from a jump in the opening credits.  I remember that from being a 7-year-old future petrol head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users