40 replies to this topic

#31 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 04:59 PM

Wheeler Dealers doesn't count, those cars are bought to sell, not used as part of a fictional storyline for characters. I have checked in the past and most Wheeler Dealer Uk shot episodes are on their actual road going reg numbers, apart from it seems in the USA made programmes, as I have seen film and TV cover plates on some of those cars, i.e. something like the fictional California plate 2GAT123 or similar. 

I do it on things like scott and Bailey or dramas. I always check wheeler dealers, most haven't seen the road since completion, lol.

#32 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:58 PM

Apparently.... when filming the Dukes of Hazzard they got through a several  Dodge Chargers per episode.... none would survive the classic car jump scenes  - a requisite in almost every episode

and had at least 2 for close up shots and one for the trailer for "moving" shots. So which would count as the original ? 

Though Daisy didn't need a stunt pair of "Daisy Dukes"  (ask yer dad !) 

In Mad Men there were x2 1962 cadillac coupe de ville  - again one for trailer shots - other for close up static shots

So maybe its only shows like Morse where you could say for sure its the one Jag  used in the show 

Unless my memory is failing, I'm sure you even see one buckling from a jump in the opening credits.  I remember that from being a 7-year-old future petrol head.

correct !!.... I was 16 at the time... so my attention was torn between the Dodge Charger .... and Daisy Duke 

Edited by Matt Brighton, 01 April 2019 - 07:03 PM.

#33 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:46 PM

No offence, but if you want to talk about Dodge Chargers, you are on the wrong forum!

Apparently.... when filming the Dukes of Hazzard they got through a several  Dodge Chargers per episode.... none would survive the classic car jump scenes  - a requisite in almost every episode

and had at least 2 for close up shots and one for the trailer for "moving" shots. So which would count as the original ? 

Though Daisy didn't need a stunt pair of "Daisy Dukes"  (ask yer dad !) 

In Mad Men there were x2 1962 cadillac coupe de ville  - again one for trailer shots - other for close up static shots

So maybe its only shows like Morse where you could say for sure its the one Jag  used in the show 

Unless my memory is failing, I'm sure you even see one buckling from a jump in the opening credits.  I remember that from being a 7-year-old future petrol head.

correct !!.... I was 16 at the time... so my attention was torn between the Dodge Charger .... and Daisy Duke 

#34 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:32 AM

VW Herbie !.....

(there you go...... I did it again )

Ford Anglia, Triumph 2.5PI, Rover SD1, Jaguar XJ6 , Honda Civic, Lancia Beta,  

Batmobile, Reliant Robin...

"holy rogue marque-mentions  Batman .... can no one stop this crazy man from referencing other car manufacturers on a Mini forum " 

:gimme:

Edited by Matt Brighton, 02 April 2019 - 07:04 AM.

#35 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:14 PM

Just run any plate in a TV commercial /TV shows / film through DVLA and it will come back no match

The point being though this is nonsense, lots of cars in lots of fictional TV shows come back as what they are.

I could give hundreds of examples but I won't, lol.

#36 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:35 PM

It is not nonsense. The owner could sign a release to allow their plate to be used. Back in the day, this was never an issue, but in modern times, you need the plate to be cleared, and have permission from the owner of showing the registration number. We hired a vehicle recently from a dealer for a production and the dealer was not happy for the car to appear on its own plates, so we used a cleared non assigned aged appropriate reg number, cleared for screen use and it comes back no trace on DVLA.

#37 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:36 PM

dupe post

Edited by beardylondon, 02 April 2019 - 08:20 PM.

#38 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:27 PM

You said "just run any plate...." I have many many times and so far every one has come back as what it is.

#39 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:31 PM

correction, "some plates". 

You said "just run any plate...." I have many many times and so far every one has come back as what it is.

#40 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:19 PM

To prove my point, I found a couple from Eastenders, which come back completely no trace, no mot history, thus are highly likely screen cleared and thus never been issued by DVLA.

As I mentioned, sometimes it is a necessity to protect the owners reg number. However the other reason to use non assigned screen cleared plates, is if the character uses the same vehicle in many episodes, production doesn't have to keep multiple vehicles on standby. Therefore if the regular supplier of that vehicle hire isn't available, they can hire any matching similar aged, spec and colour vehicle and affix their characters reg on it.  Granted some vehicles will display their actual reg numbers, for instance I ran a couple of Taxis from Corrie through the DVLA database, they are what they appear to be, so production will have likely bought them, as they are low value vehicles and cheaper to buy than rent.  Also I suspect some vehicle suppliers these days will release the use of their reg to the production, so they can say "as used in Eastenders (or whatever)", as to a potential buyers it might make it more valuable come a future sale.  As I said at the start, every production is different!

8029765-low-res-eastenders-630x420.jpg

ad-132023376.jpg

Edited by beardylondon, 02 April 2019 - 08:22 PM.

#41 Tones61

Tones61

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:28 PM

Our Italian job meet in Plymouth ??

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users