#1 Mayfair'93

Mayfair'93

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:23 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm so sorry for such a basic question but can anyone advise how to replace the bulbs in the instrument panel, specifically the capless bulb for the indicator. I've attached a photograph of my dashboard. It is a '93 Mayfair with an offset instrument panel.

Does the nacelle/cluster just pop off?

Or do I need to remove the whole dashboard?

Or is there another way?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Emm

Attached Files

• Attached File  5.jpg   41.89K   4 downloads

#2 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:47 PM

I've got a mini thirty, so don't have the dashboard piece. You'll need to get behind the gauge cluster. I think you'll need to remove the dashboard unfortunately, and remove the clocks from the mounting bracket.

#3 Saint George

Saint George

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:53 PM

Working from underneath the dashboard you can get to the back of the instrument cluster. The individual bulb holders should twist 1/4 turn and pop out

#4 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:25 PM

If you did want to remove the dash, you'll have two nuts on either side (can get to them from under the lower dash rail) and one through the middle (through where the radio sits iirc)

Some change them to LEDs but remember the charging light needs to remain a normal bulb or the system wont work.

#5 Twincam

Twincam

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:38 PM

I know the OP asked initially about indicators but just incase you was wondering/contemplating...

Going on from what I said above regarding the charge light, if you decided to change to LED you'll have to put a resistor in place.

See thread below:

http://www.theminifo...r/#entry3588995

#6 Mayfair'93

Mayfair'93

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:15 AM

Thanks everyone.

I'll take another look today.

Cheers,

Emm

#7 Mayfair'93

Mayfair'93

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 02:54 PM

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay. I've been tied up with other things.

There isn't enough space behind the steering wheel so opted for taking the dash out. I've removed the three nuts (one either side under the lower dash rail and one under the stereo) and whilst the dash seems to come away on both ends it doesn't want to budge in the middle.

Is there another fixing I'm missing? Or does it come out in a certain way, for example, the bottom slide out first before the top? Or something else? I'm just a little worried about damaging it.

Appreciate the help!

Emm.

#8 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 03:08 PM

Make sure the bracket in the middle is lifted clear of the threaded stud, the one you've taken the nut off. Ffor the end brackets I've found it easy to use a short screwdriver passed through the air vent holes to unscrew the two brackets from the rear of the dash, 4 small screws. Unless you have a steering column drop bracket you're going to need to free the column and undo the rack bolts to enable the column to be dropped away from the dash, even with a drop bracket it's very tight for space.

However .... you should be able to replace the bulbs by reaching in through the air vent and radio holes to get to the back of the dash, you might need someone with smaller hands though. The bulb holders are a basic 90 deg bayonet so reasonably easy to replace doing it just by feel.

#9 matt615

matt615

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:30 PM

Your dash may be different. However on mine the part of the dash with the instrument cluster can be removed separately. You just need to put your arm behind it, or through the air vent, undo a wing nut and that section of the dash comes off.

#10 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:29 PM

On mine after you've undone the three bolts theres a springy plastic strip with teeth, a sort of ratchet, that you need to pull downward as you pull the dash out.

[/URL]">http://edited-image_zpsx993z85z.png

#11 panky

panky

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:31 PM

Mine is an aftermarket one so may be different. I can just reach the wing nut holding the left hand side of the instrument cluster through the radio slot, once this is undone the other end is held in place with a bracket that just fits under the main part of the dash. I need to remove the steering column cowling to remove the cluster completely once the electrics and speedo cable are disconnected.

Edited by panky, 05 April 2019 - 09:32 PM.

#12 Mayfair'93

Mayfair'93

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:00 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies - very helpful and much appreciated!

It was the springy plastic strip (technical term?!) that MikeRotheram pointed out that was preventing the dash coming away.

Good shout on dropping the steering column, Bobbins - I definitely need to do that.

My cluster is screwed to the main dash so unfortunately that wasn't an option. It was a lot of effort to change a bulb...

Thanks again everyone!

Emm.

#13 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:12 PM

I managed to remove mine just by removing the steering cowl. Didn't need to lower the steering column.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users