30 replies to this topic

#16 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:56 PM

I think the simplex tensioner can be fitted to duplex set up and work but I don't think it fits properly.

#17 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:07 PM

I've read a few times that you don't need a tensioner for a Duplex Chain, but why is that?

Just curious.

The early 1275's from 1963 (though these were 1071 in that year) up to 1977-ish had a Duplex set up and no tensioner at all, after which they went to Simplex and with a Tensioner. I've run engines with a Duplex Chain for around 80 000 km while they did have slack, there was no rattle from them.

The 998 and other small bore engines also went to a different Tensioner in 1979. Prior to 79, while having a Simplex, they did have 'Tensioners' by way of 2 Rubber Rings in the Cam Sprocket.

I do prefer to fit a tensoner regardless of the set up as it's that little more 'refined' with less timing scatter at lower revs.

Thanks for the as usual comprehensive reply.

#18 govig

govig

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:05 AM

David Vizard seems to think a simplex tensioner on duplex is ok. 

The question is now about valve timing. Given the chain's initial wear will retard the valve timing after 1000 miles ish, I was going to set it a bit advanced (say 1 or 2°).

Does anyone know what is the standard Spi cam timing?

This is a 8,000 mile from new motor which went really well with its original injection set up. However as it's now going in a Moke, I've gone to a HIF44 and 59D electronic distributor. That said, is substituting these items any reason, to change the standard cam timing?

#19 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,930 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:29 AM

The question is now about valve timing. Given the chain's initial wear will retard the valve timing after 1000 miles ish, I was going to set it a bit advanced (say 1 or 2°).

Does anyone know what is the standard Spi cam timing?

This is a 8,000 mile from new motor which went really well with its original injection set up. However as it's now going in a Moke, I've gone to a HIF44 and 59D electronic distributor. That said, is substituting these items any reason, to change the standard cam timing?

According to Factory Data, the Cam and it's timing to the Crank were the same between the HIF44 Carbed Engine and the SPI, so leaving it as is should give the same performance and characteristics as the Carbed Model of the engine.

However, depending on what you want or how you'd like it to drive, there can be some gains to be had by make some adjustments to the Cam Timing, but of advancing it, I'd suggest not advancing more than 6 degrees.

Timing by the way is

In Open  90 BTDC
In Close  410 ABDC
Ex Open  550 BBDC

Ex Closes 170 ATDC

#20 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:26 PM

It is probably OK to fit a tensioner to a duplex chain with no issues.

However, I have had one high-revving engine with such a set up and the tensioner pad had broken up. On another I saw the pad was breaking up.

Edited by Cooperman, 26 March 2019 - 11:12 PM.

#21 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:52 PM

From my engineering days,  ...   Renold  told me that a chain "beds in / stretches" in the first 50 hours, after that, it is wear of the sprocket that makes a chain loose.

#22 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:16 PM

I don't fit a tensioner with a Duplex as my car is a MK.1. I did remove a cam timing cover after 1500 miles from fitting a new chain and the cam timing had backed off approx .5 degrees. Now I always time in 2 degrees advanced from nominal to allow for chain stretch.

#23 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:14 PM

Just a reminder to adapt the timing cover (if not already done) when you've fitted the duplex chain. I found the chain just catches the circular shroud around the vent aperture - probably only needs 3mm taking off - although I removed mine completely then needed to fill and repaint the cover as removing the spotwelds distorted the cover.

#24 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,930 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:53 AM

Just a reminder to adapt the timing cover (if not already done) when you've fitted the duplex chain. I found the chain just catches the circular shroud around the vent aperture - probably only needs 3mm taking off - although I removed mine completely then needed to fill and repaint the cover as removing the spotwelds distorted the cover.

Yes, good point and thanks for the reminder.

There's also a dimple in the cover at around the 4 O'clock position that also need tapping out when going to Duplex with the late covers.

#25 OzOAP

OzOAP

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:11 PM

Had some very poor quality duplex sprockets from Minispares lately. They look very well made, but are 8-9° out on timing.

#26 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:58 AM

Had some very poor quality duplex sprockets from Minispares lately. They look very well made, but are 8-9° out on timing.

These days, there is no excuse for them not being bang-on accurate   ...   unless there is a computer error.

#27 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,930 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:55 AM

These days, there is no excuse for them not being bang-on accurate   ...   unless there is a computer error.

It helps compensate for the cam error :D

#28 OzOAP

OzOAP

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:17 PM

These days, there is no excuse for them not being bang-on accurate ... unless there is a computer error.

It helps compensate for the cam error :D

I only use Piper billet cams so there isn't any.

#29 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:03 PM

Lost degrees in translation from imperial to Taiwanese...??  hahha

#30 govig

govig

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:19 PM

There seems to be some discussion how many degrees ATDC the #1 inlet pushrod should reach full lift.

Some say 110° and some 106° . As 4° is a fair difference, does anyone have a definitive knowledge of this setting for the Spi standard cam which Moke Spider has said is the same cam as the late 1275 carb version. I intend to advance it 1-2° to account for initial chain wear although not convinced this happens much with a duplex.

I have spent some time looking for this info on the net, but it's conflicting and I've got a headache!

Edited by govig, 08 April 2019 - 09:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users