20 replies to this topic

#1 jackwiththemk3

jackwiththemk3

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:43 AM

This is the build of my 1975 mk3 mini now with a 1380 engine. This part of the thread is mainly rust removal after building and putting the car on a rotisserie jig. More of the build to follow.

Attached Files

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:49 PM

Welcome and good luck with the build.  What sort of look are you going for?

#3 jackwiththemk3

jackwiththemk3

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:54 PM

Going for a mini Miglia look but 13 inch wheels and de seamed.

#4 jackwiththemk3

jackwiththemk3

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:57 PM

Fully rebuilt front and rear subframes ready to go on the shell when its finished.

Attached Files

#5 jackwiththemk3

jackwiththemk3

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:58 PM

half tubbed or tubbed rear arches, I'm not sure which you would call them

Attached Files

#6 jackwiththemk3

jackwiththemk3

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:10 PM

repainted and cleaned up engine

Attached Files

Edited by jackwiththemk3, 26 March 2019 - 04:19 PM.

#7 jackwiththemk3

jackwiththemk3

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:30 PM

Spent quite a lot of time building these seat rails that bolt in so they can be removed they also support the floor keeping the floor straight they are totally solid and seem a good way of mounting the seats if you can be bothered. They are made from inch CDS tube, 5mm plate and 1.5mm plate for the plates on the tunnel. I used 8mm allen head bolts with captivated nuts. there is a piece of inch and a half angle running in the sill void on both side so these seat rails are pretty solid. i can find a picture of how they support the floor if people are interested.

Attached Files

#8 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:32 PM

Old school hilo's, nice

#9 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:36 PM

Fully rebuilt front and rear subframes ready to go on the shell when its finished.

Are they Hi-los or another make?  I like the rubber protectors for the adjusting nuts, where did you get them from?

#10 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:41 PM

Spent quite a lot of time building these seat rails that bolt in so they can be removed they also support the floor keeping the floor straight they are totally solid and seem a good way of mounting the seats if you can be bothered. They are made from inch CDS tube, 5mm plate and 1.5mm plate for the plates on the tunnel. I used 8mm allen head bolts with captivated nuts. there is a piece of inch and a half angle running in the sill void on both side so these seat rails are pretty solid. i can find a picture of how they support the floor if people are interested.

Nice bit of fabrication going on there, good to see something different to normal.

Miglia's a good look by the way, always been some of the best looking Minis I reckon.

#11 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:26 PM

Are they Hi-los or another make? I like the rubber protectors for the adjusting nuts, where did you get them from?
They look like early Ripspeed hilo's to me, the rubber boot is the one used on hardy spicer/rubber coupling drive shaft sliding joints.
Here's mine, bought in the mid 80's, I've added the grease nipple.
There's no adjusting nut under the boot, just the threaded shaft. They adjust via a 2 foot long allen key that passes through a hole you have to drill in the rear valance or the hole in the bulkhead (twin bolt subframes) that the cone compressor tool would pass through, through the threaded nut in the cone and into an allen key socket in the top of the threaded adjuster shaft.
No taking wheels off to adjust, but they don't fit vans/estates and I'm not sure they're compatible with rubber mounted front subframes.

Attached Files

Edited by imack, 26 March 2019 - 08:37 PM.

#12 Itsjustanestate

Itsjustanestate

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:34 PM

They are original HiLos with the long allen key tool to adjust them. It also has an original 6 point Aleybars Cage and a Vizard strengthened front subframe. Throw back to the 80's complete with Britax harnesses. The engine is an early MED 1380.

#13 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:42 PM

They are original HiLos with the long allen key tool to adjust them. It also has an original 6 point Aleybars Cage and a Vizard strengthened front subframe. Throw back to the 80's complete with Britax harnesses. The engine is an early MED 1380.

I've just rebuilt my 1991 MED 1380, the tuftrided, crossdrilled, wedged A series crank got away with just a polish, Steve Whitton couldn't believe how well it had survived.

#14 jackwiththemk3

jackwiththemk3

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:33 PM

Are they Hi-los or another make?  I like the rubber protectors for the adjusting nuts, where did you get them from?

They are original high lows so they are adjusted with a long 8mm Allan key so you have to have 2 holes in the rear valance. Im not sure if you can buy them anywhere now as with a lot of the other things on the car.

#15 jackwiththemk3

jackwiththemk3

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:03 PM

Decided i needed a harness bar for the mini, why wouldn't you. Made this one to bolt in over the roll cage mounts out of 3mm plate and 38mm CDS tube. It seems like it should add a fair bit of strength to this section of the car. 

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users