#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,799 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:34 AM

"Following approval from MEPs, the European Transport Safety Council will impose mandatory speed limiters and data loggers on all new cars.

Dubbed Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA), the limiters will use GPS data and/or traffic sign recognition cameras to determine the speed limit of the road a vehicle is travelling on. Engine power will then be limited to match this, preventing the car from exceeding the speed limit. It will be possible to override the system by pushing hard on the throttle, however the system will be engaged every time a car is started."

https://www.evo.co.u...rope-after-2022

Edited by mab01uk, 27 March 2019 - 07:35 AM.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,895 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:01 AM

Oh the Germans will love that with the Autobahns then. Some are still unlimited so that will change then.

In this country for this to work well on motorways, drivers need to fully understand the rules of the road. So NO MIDDLE LANE HOGGING YOU INCONSIDERATE ARSES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m sure this will create some strong feelings within the driving community

#3 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:03 AM

Surely there will be ways to map it out just like now? When I took my 350z on de-restricted autobahn last year managed to hit 164 mph. cruising at 150 for over half an hour, be a shame not to be able to that again.  :goaway:  >_<

Edited by Midas Mk1, 27 March 2019 - 08:06 AM.

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,895 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:11 AM

Surely there will be ways to map it out just like now? When I took my 350z on de-restricted autobahn last year managed to hit 164 mph. cruising at 150 for over half an hour, be a shame not to be able to that again.  :goaway:  >_<

Last year when we went across there I was surprised how many had been restricted. Luckily the long stretch up to Gutersloh was un restricted so batted up to 120mph before the wife noticed. She is my speed limiter.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,940 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:15 AM

it all depends which area you are in. RPL has no derestricted areas but Hesse has loads.

I wonder what a bit of tape would do.

#6 Sussex_pete

Sussex_pete

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:48 AM

Of course this would be assuming that we haven't left the EU by then. Thats the only way an EU rule could be enforced in the UK.

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,940 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:56 AM

Of course this would be assuming that we haven't left the EU by then. Thats the only way an EU rule could be enforced in the UK.

nope the UK has said it will apply this in any case.

#8 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:17 AM

Didn't read the full article, but isn't this about switchable speed limiters for the time being? No real drama there. My daily drive has a speed limiter option, which you can switch on and off as part of the cruise control or even set to automatic so that the limit changes as you pass through different speed limits. Useful in a strange city when the signage isn't perfect and you want to be safe. Doesn't mean I don't switch it off and have a blast on roads I know when conditions allow. 

#9 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:50 PM

Watch the price of second hand cars before 2022 creep up.

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,038 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:59 PM

Enthusiastic drivers will simply continue to drive pre-2022 cars if they want to drive without 'big brother' control.

All of us on here seem to love classic cars and retro-driving, so we won't have any issues with this, however it is set to work.

There are many classics which are great as daily drivers (not particularly the classic Mini!). I know I would be happy driving a BMW or Mercedes from the 1980's, so a 2019 Mercedes would still be good in 2050, assuming we would still be able to buy petrol then. Not that I should worry as I won't be here then  ;D .

What amused me was the statement by 'BRAKE' that 25% of accidents were caused by 'speed'. What rubbish, 100% of accidents are caused by speed as if a vehicle is not moving, i.e. has no speed, it is quite unlikely to crash. The true facts are that 5.2% of all reported crashes involve a vehicle or vehicles which were being driven in excess of the speed LIMIT for the road. Inappropriate speed within the speed limit is not considered the true factor by BRAKE. All the obsession with speed limits can only address 5.2% of all accidents. What about the other 94.8% of accidents which are not involving a vehicle being driven over the speed limit? 

#11 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:19 PM

Some heavy mis-reporting of this in the media this morning.  This will utilise technology that most new cars already have fitted, you know the sort of stuff like sat navs and the systems that recognise speed signs. It will essentially 'limit' the speed unless the driver chooses, but it's simply overridden by pressing the accelerator, yes really!  What it's doing is taking the option that most cars have an onscreen tick box for the driver to activate and switching it on by default. No big dramas in the short term, but it's likely the start of a slippery slope, but if the media is to be believed none of us will be driving our own cars in a few years anyway.

#12 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,799 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:12 PM

Some reports say it will not be possible “to switch off or suppress” the speed assistance system, though drivers will be able to speed by accelerating through the limiter. It will be impossible to deactivate the data logger, however, which will record, “as a minimum”:

•  The vehicle's speed
  •  The state and rate of activation of its safety systems
  •  Any other relevant input parameters of the on-board active safety and accident avoidance systems

Recordings will be logged “before, during and after a collision”. The proposals say the data collected should only be used to “conduct accident data analysis and assess the effectiveness of specific measures taken”. Information is likely, however, to be shareable across EU countries.

I guess Police and insurance companies will also be interested in the data logger recordings in the event of an accident to help with a conviction.

Edited by mab01uk, 27 March 2019 - 08:17 PM.

#13 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 29 March 2019 - 12:24 AM

In the early 60's, Simms Motors developed a fuel injection system that was inserted between the camshaft and the fuel pump.

Like a diesel engine, a feature was the ability to govern the engine speed, which could have restricted light petrol vans whose speed was limited because they were sold without purchase tax.

Very clearly, at that time, speed was not an important enough issue for the government to consider looking at ways of limiting it, despite introducing the reduction of derestricted roads to 70 MPH. and it also showed no interest when Simms demonstrated a reverse adaption of traffic light triggers inserted in the road surface that could have been placed across the road at every town's 30MPH sign.

Interesting that the EU gave greater priority to  'Daylight Running Lights'  than to vehicle speed.

#14 Sussex_pete

Sussex_pete

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 08:34 AM

nope the UK has said it will apply this in any case.

Missed that bit Nick! Of course, the civil servants would lap this up as another law to implement whether or not it is viable.

#15 Sussex_pete

Sussex_pete

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 08:43 AM

The other things that bother me are the potential to crash (sorry for that pun) the sports and exotica car industry, if drivers were not able to exceed any national speed limit. Why would they want a car that achieve 190mph when they can only travel at 70mph. What about the possible chaos on smart motorways where there are instances of successive gantries showing 60, then 50, then 60MPH limits. And finally I can forsee more rear end shunts caused by drivers overriding the limit by pressing the accelerator, just as the car in front is slowing for the next speed reduction.

Maybe a bit extreme, but to me this shows another law being introduced by the EU that has not been fully thought through and accounting for possible implications

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users