#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:25 AM

At what age does a car become a classic? According to new data research, cars are becoming classics younger, reaching an MoT pass turning point when they’re still teenagers.

Research by Honest John Classics into Government MoT data shows that, once cars have been around for more than 18 years, owners start cherishing them and putting money back in. According to the latest data, the year that has the worst MoT pass rate (50.4 per cent) is 2001. After that, the data proves that cars start to find enthusiastic owners willing to spend time and money keeping them on the road.

“This shows us that 18 is roughly the age where a car stops becoming a banger and starts to become cherished,” said Honest John Classics Editor, Keith Moody. “The insurance industry will sometimes use a cut-off date of 25 years, but we much prefer to look at the MoT data.”

Already, there are some turn-of-the-century cars that are pulling in a cult following as numbers dwindle and enthusiasm grows. Most notable is the original BMW-built MINI, which turns 18 this year and was covered in last week’s buying guide. Tanya Field, who runs the MINI Y Register for examples built in 2001, said: “A lot of MINI owners are in their 20s. These are the cars they grew up with as children, so it’s no surprise that they love them.

“As with any classic car, enthusiasm is often driven by nostalgia, and the fact that the MINI is British, has loads of character and is such good fun to drive really helps.”

Other British cars also feature on the list of millennial motors tipped by Honest John Classics as its top 10 best investments for the future. Hot on the MINIs heel in second place is the Rover 75, followed by the MG TF in third. The Jaguar XJ appears in fifth, while the MG ZR is in eighth. Open-top roadsters are also included in the shape of the Toyota MR2 and Mazda MX-5, and there are also mentions for the Mk1 Ford Focus, the Citroën Saxo VTR/VTS and the E39 BMW 5-Series.
https://classicsworl...oming-classics/

#2 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:04 AM

Lols at the Rover 75, might be waiting a while for that one!  The V8 model and the MG version of the same car is where the money is at.

Has anyone got a copy of 'the list'?  because it's not linked in that article from what I can see??

The Clio V6 is currently demanding prices around £20,000-£30,000, one was even up for around 70 grand last year with super-low miles.

Clio 182 Trophy and Clio 172 Cup cars are demanding £5000-£10,000

The Megane R26.R is well on the way to being a collectable classic.

Low mile Mk1 MX-5 can demand a decent price, with some special edition models really making good numbers.

Classic Impreza's have shot up in value, Audi TT V6's are also on the up.

Mk4 and Mk5 R32 Golf's are rapidly increasing in value.

#3 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:42 PM

The way I think of this is to think about all the cars you wanted when you where a teenager. Then fast forward to a time when you think that peer group will have 'made it' and have money in the bank as that's when the collectibility ££ goes up.

#4 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:30 PM

I’m banking on early Porsche boxsters going the way of the 944.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:42 PM

I think the BMW E46 is a future classic.

#6 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 03 April 2019 - 09:47 AM

M3 for sure

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:20 PM

M3 for sure

The E46 M3 is, IMHO, already a true classic.

However, having owned a couple of E46's including a 325i SE, they are such super cars to drive and look good too, so they will become classics soon. I could really fancy a 325 Coupe E46.

#8 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:40 AM

And here's me selling an early S plate E46 328SE the other day.

No rot in the arches either. Bah.

#9 myredmini

myredmini

My Mummy Says It's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Local Club: BOG MOG

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:56 AM

I'm a sucker for the E39, i have owned 2 and still have 1, a 525i Manual. Gorgeous cars

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 03:20 PM

I would like my old 1980 BMW 732i back. I bought it new as my company car and it was a rare manual with a limited-slip diff. A super road car I did 63000 miles in it in 2 years. Another true classic now.
The real climber for me is a Porsche. I bought a 1973 911 Carrera 2.7 RST in 1979 for £6600. I sold it in 1997 for £20000. One like it recently sold for £410,000. Never mind!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users