#1 luke6040

luke6040

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:17 AM

Hope you guys don't tear me to shreds, I really have done a fair amount of research but want to bounce ideas and opinions off some other humans. 

I have just started getting my mini ready to convert to motorbike engine. Its always been my plan for the 10 years of owning the car, and i always thought i would use a promotive kit, but i have decided i would rather build than buy . 

My research is starting to frustrate me a little so i thought i would ask in here for some help. 

The main stumbling block is what engine!? Why do so many people use the R1 engines? These are becoming harder to come by now, especially the older ones. Will the 5VY and the 4C8

physically fit in the car? Or is there a better donor bike i could use? 

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:06 PM

Fifty years ago, people used to say "Look at the power the Japs are getting out of their bike engines, couldn't you fit one in a Mini ?".

My reply was always the same "If you work out how to fix reverse gear, I'll try"

Using a starter motor to reverse a car full, up hill along a country lane, does not fix the problem.

#3 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Local Club: none yet

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:42 PM

Fifty years ago, people used to say "Look at the power the Japs are getting out of their bike engines, couldn't you fit one in a Mini ?".

My reply was always the same "If you work out how to fix reverse gear, I'll try"

Using a starter motor to reverse a car full, up hill along a country lane, does not fix the problem.

Pro motive now provide a reverse gearbox with their kit.

#4 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:49 PM

<iframe width="425" height="344" src="https://www.youtube....bed/_-kB9nLApYw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#5 luke6040

luke6040

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:59 PM

Haha reverse isn't a big issue for me, its going to be a weekend and trackday toy. Ill figure that out. 

Just need to make sure it'll fit under the bonnet. 

#6 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 04:01 PM

Pro motive now provide a reverse gearbox with their kit.

I am most impressed with that video, but alas, I think I am now a tad old to start putting a mid-mounted 1440 Kawasiki in the back of a Fiat 500.

#7 luke6040

luke6040

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:36 AM

Am i just being trolled? 

#8 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:24 AM

NO.

You are certainly not being trolled.

The post has just wandered a bit, probably because most classic Mini owners don't know what  5VY and 4C8 mean.

#9 smudger068

smudger068

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:24 PM

I'm not surprised you are struggling. For a start when it comes to bikes everyone wants an R1 when I was younger it was an R1 and it's a Yamaha!
They are used a lot in auto cross and as they age they probably are going to be harder to find.
Maybe a hayabusa but again I don't know if that will fit!? Bike engines for me seem ALOT of money for not a lot in return thus being an acquired taste.
Have you tried the 16vminiclub?

#10 luke6040

luke6040

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:52 PM

NO.

You are certainly not being trolled.

The post has just wandered a bit, probably because most classic Mini owners don't know what  5VY and 4C8 mean.

well im in the motorbike engine section of the forum 

#11 luke6040

luke6040

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:54 PM

I'm not surprised you are struggling. For a start when it comes to bikes everyone wants an R1 when I was younger it was an R1 and it's a Yamaha!
They are used a lot in auto cross and as they age they probably are going to be harder to find.
Maybe a hayabusa but again I don't know if that will fit!? Bike engines for me seem ALOT of money for not a lot in return thus being an acquired taste.

Thanks smudger, I will have a look. I wanted to do it for the challange more than anything. I will probably end up just getting an engine and seeing what i can do, but figured there is no point reinventing the wheel if someone has already done it. 

#12 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:46 PM

How about a nice Vincent V-twin?

#13 stumpy75

stumpy75

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:50 AM

Honda blackbird carb motor or even a 1216 cndit engine oil cooled loads of torque ect

#14 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:26 PM

My R1 5PW setup was £1200 and came with loom, clocks, rectifier & airbox.

I wonder how much an NA 150hp A-series with sequential dog box would cost? 

#15 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

My R1 5PW setup was £1200 and came with loom, clocks, rectifier & airbox.

I wonder how much an NA 150hp A-series with sequential dog box would cost? 

How much work did you do, to get the engine off the floor and drive the car away?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users