18 replies to this topic

#16 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 11:35 AM

The engine is not the problem, it is the gearbox especially the synchros and synthetics can cause problems with them and the cones. Just use a good quality mineral oil and change along with filter at least every year. 

Synthetics are also a lot more expensive.

Edited by Rorf, 26 May 2019 - 11:36 AM.

#17 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 26 May 2019 - 11:46 AM

Need a high zinc content and I don't think semi-synth has that. Later Minis may have used it to save BL holding stock of two oils though ...

#18 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:32 PM

Just for interest, are there any technical papers on the role of zddp in oil, and optimum levels for different conditions? Just strikes me that there are lots of numbers entering the discussion on many forums, 800ppm too low, 1300ppm good for minis, etc. but I guess there are many variables that come into play, such as engine speed and frequency of oil changes. I'm just genuinely interested in understanding the engineering rationale.

#19 Pete - W.Sussex

Pete - W.Sussex

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:44 PM

There is loads of technical stuff on line - and apparently you can have too much ZDDP - I use Driven HR1 and their break in oil on new engines as does my engine builder. But I’m not religious on it and will use the Minispares stuff in ‘old’ engines which have been through many hands. Swiftune use and sell what is branded as their own design oil but it is Driven XP5 - fine if you are racing with frequent oil changes. Driven isn’t API graded and it’s worth reading up on what the API grades mean if you are really interested - to have the basic level of ZDDP I think you have to go back to SG/SH but SC/SD might be better, not sure. Anyway the Westway stuff seems to fit the bill and looks interesting.

Here’s a starter for ten:

https://tech.drivenr...c-in-motor-oil/

PS I am no expert at all on oil - at the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice. The marketing boys just baffle us with chosen bits of science.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users