#1 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 02:45 PM

Hello,

After some advice on my daily driver car.

Its a 2002 Citroen Xsara (not the Picasso type), with the 2.0 HDI 90 engine, with 115k miles on the clock.

First of all it drives great, with no performance problems at all.

However there are two issues.

There is an awful knocking noise from the fanbelt end of the engine, which is always there to some degree but volume of the noise varies considerably. Sometimes it sounds like the engine is going to shake itself to bits. I am confident that this is caused by a worn belt pulley, which is common on these engines apparently.

However I do have another strange noise, which seems to be clutch related.

Whenever the clutch pedal is released, there is a constant squeaking/whistling from the clutch end of the engine. It doesn't matter if the car is stationary or moving, the noise remains. However the second I put my foot on the clutch pedal (even slightly) the noise stops. The clutch still works fine without any problems at all. I'm just concerned as to what this noise is. 

If it means a whole new clutch then the car probably isn't worth it. Obviously I want to know what the clutch noise is before fixing the belt pulley, otherwise fixing the belt pulley might be a waste of time.

Anyone have any ideas on the clutch noise?

#2 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 06 April 2019 - 05:03 PM

Possibly the clutch release bearing? 

Cheers, Steve.

#3 jime17

jime17

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:36 AM

Possibly the clutch release bearing?

Cheers, Steve.

My guess too. If it is that they can go on for ages like it. Or it could go quickly. Not much help really.

Personally I'd drive it until it or something else fails if it's not worth the outlay on a new clutch..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users