#1 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:00 AM

Hi there,

I bought a fully rebuilt Mini (1990 red Cooper) from Somerford about 5 years ago, although I think its rebuild might have been up to 5 years before that, and it may have been outside the whole time.

It was shiny when I got it, and after I got it I removed the bonnet stripes - and could only see a slight difference in the paint.  Its been regularly polished, but is outside except 5 months over winter when its carcooned in a garage.

Now a few years later, there's a dramatic difference - where the stripes were is still shiny, the rest is flat.

I've tried gently t-cutting the bonnet, and it improved things a bit, but not enough.

I'm assuming the paint is "old fashioned" paint - in that it doesn't have a clear topcoat.  What did a red 1990 Mini have when new in this regard?

Thanks for help, advice & tips.

- Rob

Attached Files

Edited by roblightbody, 07 April 2019 - 12:45 PM.

#2 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:44 PM

Have a YouTube of the meguiars uk channel, they show how to restore faded pink to red using ultimate compound and their da.

:)

#3 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,640 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:45 PM

https://youtu.be/I3B4bMYRLgU

#4 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:50 PM

Have a YouTube of the meguiars uk channel, they show how to restore faded pink to red using ultimate compound and their da.

:)

Watching it now!  Looks good, thanks :)

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:16 PM

Put the t-cut down for a start! It needs a compound polish with a finishing pad.

#6 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 05:28 PM

I always claybar a car before any compounding to make sure no bits of contamination to scratch paint.
If car is painted in 2k then from experience it can be very hard work by hand. I would invest in a basic da polisher but compound choice can be difficult without trying an area. I have found the menzerna compounds very good but don’t go too harsh.
You could try some p6000 trizact as they leave a surface that requires very little polishing after.

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:10 PM

Use a decent waffle pad on a mop and use Scholl Concepts S17+. That will polish that out nicely followed by a decent quality wax.

#8 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:27 AM

another vote for meguiars as its so good, dont bother with t cut buy once and get the job done

#9 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:09 PM

There's no 2 ways about it, that meguiars stuff is incredible. With no effort at all, it's brought the bonnet back to a brilliant shine. Unbelievable. I'll be doing the whole car tomorrow, then a good coat of wax.

Thanks for the recommendation.

#10 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:12 AM

Follow up, it's gone completely flat again, after maybe a month, and I'm pretty fed up!

I presume it's not got a top clearcoat lacquer.

On the scale of mini problems it's a nice problem to have, but still frustrating.

#11 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:20 AM

After mopping it with the meguirs did you add any protective products such as wax or a sealant?

Ultimate fix is (unfortunately) a respray as the paint has oxidised and broken down.

#12 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:09 AM

It's worth picking up a DA polisher, around £70 for something half decent. Then get your head round which products clean, which cut, which polish, and which wax ..... a common mistake is confusing polish with wax.

Start with polish because it's the most gentle form of cutting and only go harsher if it's not successful - a good Mequiars or Autoglym polish on the DA polisher should do the job fine, if there's any scratch marks left you can go for a harsher cutting/buffing paste or cream but be very careful particularly at the edges or you'll break through to the primer.

When you've finished wax it by hand with a hard carnuba content wax, I use Autoglym High Definition Wax, this is expensive but it'll add the protection you need. Without the wax coat it will return to a scruffy looking finish quite quickly. On going maintenance should be an occasional clay, hand polish and wax, it'll stay good for years.

In general with detailing products you get what you pay for ... and some are eye-wateringly expensive!

#13 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:00 PM

Thought I'd come back to my own topic.  I decided to take it to a classic car bodyshop near here and get some rust repaired at the back window, and then get them to do a full mechanical polish which they have now done, and the car looks fantastic.  I found a post on this forum that showed my car for sale at Somerford in 2008, so I now know the paint is at least 12 years old, I thought it was newer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users