#1 whittlebot

whittlebot

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:01 AM

Guys I need your help again!

Recently I have noticed an irregular screech coming from what I think is the near side of the Car.

The best way to describe it is, if any of you travel on the London Underground, and you hear that  screech of metal to metal. Perhaps when the Train turns a bend. Anyway, driving home from London to my home ( distance of 60 miles) last night. It was horrendous! Not continuous. Could it be a gearbox problem? Now in my late 70s. As much as I love my car, and I do!. Whatever the problem is. Is now completely beyond me! What is going on! What could it be! It's making me afraid to drive it now, as I fear something is going to sheer off something else! It is not a whine but a screech for a second or two, then it will start again. or even a couple of minutes. On a straight section of road, and/or taking a bend in the road. No it doesn't happen from cold start, only when I've been traveling some distance when the car is warm (if this is relevant) and it happens without warning so it startles me. I no longer enjoy driving it because my ears are now listening for this damn noise! 

Over the years I have owned it. Members have have helped and advised in so many ways.But this problem is causing me great stress! I KNOW that someone will know what the problem is!

Thank you all in advance.

Jonathan.

oh, it's 1996 Automatic Mini Mayfair

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:19 AM

it's not a slipping fanbelt is it ?

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,415 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:22 AM

Worst screech I've heard coming from a car has been a stone trapped against the brake disc. How it relates to engine and road speed will help diagnosis.

#4 whittlebot

whittlebot

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:58 PM

Thank you to both of you! Will check both!

#5 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:13 PM

Guys I need your help again!

Recently I have noticed an irregular screech coming from what I think is the near side of the Car.

The best way to describe it is, if any of you travel on the London Underground, and you hear that  screech of metal to metal. Perhaps when the Train turns a bend. Anyway, driving home from London to my home ( distance of 60 miles) last night. It was horrendous! Not continuous. Could it be a gearbox problem? Now in my late 70s. As much as I love my car, and I do!. Whatever the problem is. Is now completely beyond me! What is going on! What could it be! It's making me afraid to drive it now, as I fear something is going to sheer off something else! It is not a whine but a screech for a second or two, then it will start again. or even a couple of minutes. On a straight section of road, and/or taking a bend in the road. No it doesn't happen from cold start, only when I've been traveling some distance when the car is warm (if this is relevant) and it happens without warning so it startles me. I no longer enjoy driving it because my ears are now listening for this damn noise! 

Over the years I have owned it. Members have have helped and advised in so many ways.But this problem is causing me great stress! I KNOW that someone will know what the problem is!

Thank you all in advance.

Jonathan.

oh, it's 1996 Automatic Mini Mayfair

Try this

Brake pad thin metal spring clip scratching on the disc. Happened to me.; You know the thin metal that goes between split pin and pads. May not be touching, but spin the wheel / try the brakes When i had it a slight press of the brakes would stop it contacting for a few mins. 

#6 whittlebot

whittlebot

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:43 PM

thank you for additional suggestion.

Jonathan

#7 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad