Photo

Mpi Heater Matrix Failure

Best Answer jamesquintin , 08 April 2019 - 08:14 AM

One thing to be aware of when changing the matrix. I replaced mine with one from Mini spares. the replacement DIDN'T have the 4 small square nuts inside to clamp the hoses down. I had to transfer them over from the old matrix.

fBxIh1k.jpg

uPN02bB.jpg

Q

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:18 PM

Ever had one of those days when you things don't go right for you...

Well I decided to tax the mini and take it out for its first drive of the year. As with most minis, everyone knows that they have little quirks and mine isn't any different. Once up to temp, I have to open up the heater just a fraction to keep her running at a perfect temp. Otherwise temp needle sits ever so slightly higher than i'm comfortable with.

However, unknown to me, the heater matrix decided it didn't want to hold its water anymore and started leaking out... all i was aware of was a slightly steamed up windscreen. Got home and noticed a rusty water stain on the mats. This then followed me hurriedly stripping out the interior to get the blower unit out of the car ASAP as water was pouring out of it

Nope that's not good
OHqpZcZ.jpg

Quick strip it
lbvVL6B.jpg
TKTDRq4.jpg

oh bugger
wrM5zkB.jpg

That's abit broken
GgEGlxv.jpg

I'm hoping its a simple matrix change, but at you can see image 3, the previous owner 2 holes in the front casing to accommodate a wooden centre console.
I no longer use the console so ideally i want to change the whole unit. Does anyone have a good condition unit for sale at a sensible price??

Edited by yeti21586, 07 April 2019 - 05:30 PM.
DO NOT TRY AND AVOID THE SWEAR FILTER!!!

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:24 PM

The matrix is easily replaced and readily available. If you're after just the case, I have one for an MPi.

#3 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:24 PM

I'd take the opportunity to remove the radiator and give that a good flush too. My MPi used to run a tad over the normal line. The system was chock full of crud.

With a new radiator and heater matrix, she sits just below the line now.

Oh, clean out the heater valve too. They get stiff when full of crap.

#4 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:51 PM

The matrix is easily replaced and readily available. If you're after just the case, I have one for an MPi.

Interested in the casing if it’s in good condition. I’ll DM you my email address. Can you ping a photo over?

#5 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:53 PM

I'd take the opportunity to remove the radiator and give that a good flush too. My MPi used to run a tad over the normal line. The system was chock full of crud.

With a new radiator and heater matrix, she sits just below the line now.

Oh, clean out the heater valve too. They get stiff when full of crap.

Yes good point. I did a coolant change last year and gave everything a good flush. The coolant is lovely and pink but I don’t think the flush reached the heater matrix as it was a bit rusty in colour

#6 Twincam

Twincam

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 07 April 2019 - 05:23 PM

On the MPI, you're lucky where you dont actually have to remove the whole unit when you want to replace the matrix.

I pulled one of mine out of hibernation (probably 8-10 years of not being used) and the matrix had pooped itself. Removed all the connections of the hoses whilst she was out flushed everything.

Double check your fan is free and working on the radiator too - they like to seize after standing a while.

#7 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 05:48 PM

On the MPI, you're lucky where you dont actually have to remove the whole unit when you want to replace the matrix

Double check your fan is free and working on the radiator too - they like to seize after standing a while.

Yes you’re right but I think it’s gone pop nicely as fluid was pouring out everywhere
The fan in the back of blower unit is covered in fluid. I had to pull the unit to stop it dripping all over the carpet.
I know the blower was working as I pulled the car out the garage a couple of weeks ago and tested everything electrical to check it was working

Edited by jamesmpi, 07 April 2019 - 05:49 PM.

#8 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:14 AM   Best Answer

One thing to be aware of when changing the matrix. I replaced mine with one from Mini spares. the replacement DIDN'T have the 4 small square nuts inside to clamp the hoses down. I had to transfer them over from the old matrix.

fBxIh1k.jpg

uPN02bB.jpg

Q

#9 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:59 AM

fBxIh1k.jpg

uPN02bB.jpg

Q

That’s a great top tip. Thanks for the warning

#10 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:41 PM

Does anyone know if the new matrix comes with foam gaskets? When I took my old matrix out it have foam inserts stuck to the top and end faces. I guess to create and tighter air seal.

#11 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:48 PM

Does anyone know if the new matrix comes with foam gaskets? When I took my old matrix out it have foam inserts stuck to the top and end faces. I guess to create and tighter air seal.

mine did from minispares

#12 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:54 PM

Mine didn't (eBay), but I used some foam from an old motherboard box.

You'll need to swap the hose stubs from the old one too.

#13 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:07 PM

You'll need to swap the hose stubs from the old one too.

If the old ones are a bit corroded then you can get stainless ones from eBay

#14 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:29 PM

Cheers for the replies. I’ve ordered a replacement from mini spares so should receive the foam inserts.

I’ve checked the hose stubs and they seem ok. I cleaned them up and they look in pretty good condition

#15 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:44 AM

Q

New matrix arrived today. Very speedy service from Mini Spares

Checked inside the box and 4 new square nuts are provided but not fitted to the matrix housing. New gasket is included too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users