#16 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:09 AM

I got my bike out during the early 70's fuel hike, and for years used it for almost all up-to 5 mile trips.

Then one day the bag of something or other on the handlebars went through the front spokes   ...   before the days of helmets.

When I recovered, I bought a Honda Moped and 5 mile trips extended to 50 miles.

The wife was never keen on it, but our daughter still fondly recalls waving to people from the trailer as a 3 year old.

I expect I'd be given 20 penalty points and banned from keeping a dog if that happened now.

#17 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:43 PM

Plus you can get electric scooters now!

Yes, but good lord you look like a total divvy riding one.

Like a man playing with childrens toys, it just looks weird.

#18 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:27 PM

Plus you can get electric scooters now!

From.what I've read I believe that they are neither legal on the road or pavement, except for one path by the Olympic stadium in London.

Have been in Paris where they are legal and hire scooters everywhere with folk zipping around really fast on pavements... slightly intimidating

Edited by cooperd70, 16 April 2019 - 01:28 PM.

#19 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:47 PM

It's a little different over here in the States....for one thing the distances involved are much larger if you don't live in a city center and there really is very little public transportation, especially out in the suburbs. We also have weather - in all the negatives that implies - heat, wind, humidity, cold, ice, snow hail rain and on to deal with on a daily basis....hard to get to work every day when you're dealing with that too.

Another factor is age, once you reach a certain point in your life bicycling becomes less of an option - my wife for instance could not ride to the grocery store and bring home a weeks groceries - or even a days worth. When I was younger and lived inner city I would ride my bike to and from work, better than 10 miles each way but it was pretty interesting having to carry a suit and tie in a bag on the bike, then change when I got to the office.

But I agree with the premise....car ownership HAS gotten extremely expensive and I think we're all going to be looking at alternatives. It's great that you live in a country where public transportation has been well developed. Also interesting to hear the universal loathing for the bus!

The wife and I are retired, but still own two cars - she hates being "trapped" at home if we only had the one car and I was gone for  a few days, but I can see us approaching that time - in the future just the one daily driver and one Mini should do us OK I think.

#20 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,372 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:02 PM

I like to tell myself I'm helping to delay some of the age related decay by cycling to work, though it's only 10-15mins each way. 

If by scooter we mean the "skateboard with handlebars" variety, I'd say the state of our roads and pavements have been allowed to get in to make them a non-starter even if they were legal. It looks like the motorised bicycle sort are legal, without road-tax, insurance etc, as long as they're limited to 15mph in powered mode.

I'd be happy to cycle farther on a good day. Wet weather curbs my enthusiasm because, if you layer up to keep the wet out, the sweat and condensation on the inside is at least as unpalatable, even with the best techie 'proofs. A 'leccy bike could pay off there by letting you wrap up while sparing you the exertion. Ten miles commuting would be acceptable at 40 mins. Especially if you can save on parking, sitting in jams or take advantage of off road shortcuts. 

I've been passed by a  "cyclist" with what sounds and smells like a chainsaw engine bolted on - Haven't seen him in a while though, so maybe he had the legality questioned by plod. 

#21 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:08 PM

"Chainsaw engines" on a bike were all the rage in the early 50's. There was one on ebay about 6 months ago, but a bike frame wasn't really substantial enough, unlike the more robust french Velo-Solex.

#22 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 08:39 PM

I’m actually a bit tempted by an ebike conversion! I actually got a free bike from work (abandoned) but perfectly saveable, so I’m really tempted to do it for that!

Edited by Black.Ghost, 28 April 2019 - 08:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users