#1 Farnie

Farnie

Starting My Mini Up

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:02 AM

Hi 

I have just purchased a 1988 Austin Mini to have some fun with. I have brought some 12" ultralite mini wheels, however I have made a school boy error and purchased wheels that stick-out a bit more than the OEM steel wheels, and the front wheels now catch the front of the front wheel arches (not by much, but the catch when I go around corners). I currently have 145/70 R12 tyres on all wheels. Does anyone know if you can buy lower profile tyres for a 12 inch wheel, or is it easy to bend the wheel arch out a little to stop the existing tyres rubbing. I don't really want to cut/alter the wheel arch. Does anyone have any suggestions please. If it's best that I alter the wheel arch, does anyone know of a body-shop or panel basher that could help me please, in the Northamptonshire area. Thank you 

Kind regards

Alistair

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:54 AM

You will need to cut and reshape the body to suit

#3 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:12 PM

What width Ultralights did you buy?

#4 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:39 PM

Hi 

I have just purchased a 1988 Austin Mini to have some fun with. I have brought some 12" ultralite mini wheels, however I have made a school boy error and purchased wheels that stick-out a bit more than the OEM steel wheels, and the front wheels now catch the front of the front wheel arches (not by much, but the catch when I go around corners). I currently have 145/70 R12 tyres on all wheels. Does anyone know if you can buy lower profile tyres for a 12 inch wheel, or is it easy to bend the wheel arch out a little to stop the existing tyres rubbing. I don't really want to cut/alter the wheel arch. Does anyone have any suggestions please. If it's best that I alter the wheel arch, does anyone know of a body-shop or panel basher that could help me please, in the Northamptonshire area. Thank you 

Kind regards

Alistair

I have 165/65/12 on my Ultralites and they still catch the front of the wheel arch. Get your tin snips out. Some have fitted adjustable tie rods to mover th hub back a bit but I don't like messing with steering geometry.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:11 PM

Hi 

Kind regards

Alistair

I have 165/65/12 on my Ultralites and they still catch the front of the wheel arch. Get your tin snips out. Some have fitted adjustable tie rods to mover th hub back a bit but I don't like messing with steering geometry.

and that is not how you sort the problem.

the suspension may just be old and tired replace the rubber dounuts and all should be good.

#6 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:31 PM

There are 3 different versions of 12" Ultralight wheels available, all with different offsets ...

5" wide ET30

5.5" wide ET20

5.5" wide ET10

By chance do you have the ET10 version?

#7 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:32 PM

I had a then brand new 95 sprite with 5x12 wheels with the 145 tyres, and they rubbed. It's the reason the standard wheels are only 4.5 wide.

#8 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:15 PM

Hi 

Kind regards

Alistair

and that is not how you sort the problem.

the suspension may just be old and tired replace the rubber dounuts and all should be good.

Didn't make any diffedrence to mine after I fitted new donuts.

#9 Farnie

Farnie

Starting My Mini Up

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:04 PM

Yes Bobbins the wheels are the ET20 Ultralite mini's

Nicklouse thank you for your suggestion re: the rubber donuts, I'll try that first, but it sounds like I might need to find someone to help me cut the wheel arches a bit :o(

#10 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:59 PM

Yes Bobbins the wheels are the ET20 Ultralite mini's

Nicklouse thank you for your suggestion re: the rubber donuts, I'll try that first, but it sounds like I might need to find someone to help me cut the wheel arches a bit :o(

The 5.5" ET20 Ultralites will stand out by over an inch more than original 4.5" wheels ... you're going to have a problem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users