5 replies to this topic

#1 edp

edp

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:15 PM

Hi, having been a long time occasional reader of the forum I finally got my own mini a few weeks ago. It's a 1985 Mayfair, and there is not a lot of bodywork to do which for me was a priority. It runs and drives and I am delighted with it. A few questions though, if anyone has any ideas...

Have added some pictures below - the engine has an oil leak - down front of engine and sump is covered too. Oil seems to be coming from or collecting around dipstick - is this common? Where else could it be coming from? A lot of cleaning required under the bonnet...

There are some unusual plates riveted under the bonnet - I'm certain they are not from this car, any ideas? The VIN plate that should be there is also present, not sure why these other ones have been added.

I'm planning on a full interior replacement as what is there is mismatched and tatty - also want to upgrade the dash. Wheels are going silver as I don't like the black. Full service too this weekend. Looking forward to getting to know it really. 

Thanks, Ed.

Attached Files

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:25 PM

Mini engines covered in oil is very common.

It could be leaking from the oil pressure switch, the banjo union or the pipe between the union and the oil filter housing.

Try cleaning the area with Jizer and then run engine to spot leak.

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:18 AM

The oil leak might be a partially blocked engine breather causing the oil to blow out through the dipstick hole. Seal the dipstick and try fitting a small bracket and a spring to hold the dipstick in place. Clean out the engine oil breather and, if necessary, add a new one at the clutch housing. They are available from Mini Spares.

#4 Miki Leyland

Miki Leyland

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 03:07 PM

The oil leak might be a partially blocked engine breather causing the oil to blow out through the dipstick hole. Seal the dipstick and try fitting a small bracket and a spring to hold the dipstick in place. Clean out the engine oil breather and, if necessary, add a new one at the clutch housing. They are available from Mini Spares.

Isn't it a bit dificult to drill the hole without the risk of putting bits of metal in the gearbox?

#5 slyrmini

slyrmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:39 PM

Ahh, I found you!

We do indeed have the same colour and yours along with all the other saloons I’ve ever seen this colour are ‘85. Ive see a few vans and pickups in this colour.

Maybe it’s all they had on the shelf when our shells came around the corner at some point in 1985. 🤔😆

Did you sort the oil leak?

My car also had a commission number plate under the bonnet, I think, but I’m not sure, myn may have had something to do with the engine being a ‘gold seal’ engine... From research i did in the past, I read that used engines were sent off to unipart for rebuilding and they were then put back into new cars. Apparently these engines were actually built to a much higher standard and I do know now after stripping the engine that myn had been bored and liners inserted, that along with the gold paint on the engine I’m guessing it was a used, rebuilt engine 🤔

Edited by slyrmini, 17 May 2021 - 12:02 AM.

#6 edp

edp

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 08:49 PM

Ahh, I found you!

We do indeed have the same colour and yours along with all the other saloons I’ve ever seen this colour are ‘85. Ive see a few vans and pickups in this colour.

Maybe it’s all they had on the shelf when our shells came around the corner at some point in 1985.

Did you sort the oil leak?

My car also had a commission number plate under the bonnet, I think, but I’m not sure, myn may have had something to do with the engine being a ‘gold seal’ engine... From research i did in the past, I read that used engines were sent off to unipart for rebuilding and they were then put back into new cars. Apparently these engines were actually built to a much higher standard and I do know now after stripping the engine that myn had been bored and liners inserted, that along with the gold paint on the engine I’m guessing it was a used, rebuilt engine

Thanks @slyrmini - That's really interesting about the engine - never heard anything about 'gold seal' before, I'll have to find out more about this. Not done any engine work at all - it's always run so well since I bought it as a runner and time has been pretty limited. Other than servicing and sorting that oil leak - which turned out to be a leak from the oil pressure switch - I've not had needed to do anything. Engine bay is looking better than in the picture above now though! 

Car is now back on it's original C plate (as in photo on the other thread) - the B plate in these pictures was transferred to the car by the previous owner. He kept/transferred the B plate from his previous Mini, which he left in Mongolia after completing the Mongol rally and wanted to keep it on his replacement Mini. I didn't like it not being age-related on the car, so DVLA let me have the old C reg back.

Also very interested to hear about the commission plate info - thanks for this. I've always wondered about it. Again, more investigation needed!

Cheers, Ed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users