117 replies to this topic

#106 Ade-Cooper

Ade-Cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:49 AM

What happened with this? did you manage to find out what was wrong and plow your money into the right places to get the mini on the road?

#107 paulfoel

paulfoel

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 08:24 AM

Revisiting an old thread - still got this car.

Its rusting away - got to do something about it. Either sell it or get it fixed.

Its going to take a LOT of welding. 

Any recommendations in the south wales/south west area? (As above not the one in Cwmbran!)

#108 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 08:47 AM

I am sure there are 2 sides to every story, the fact is if your car is well rotten and it needs a full restoration you are looking at £35 to £40k, and of course depending on inspection it could be less or more.

Ac

Edited by ACDodd, 10 August 2022 - 10:23 AM.

#109 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 08:59 AM

Its rusting away - got to do something about it. Either sell it or get it fixed.

Any recommendations in the south wales/south west area? (As above not the one in Cwmbran!)

Ian Slark near Backwell. 

#110 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 11 August 2022 - 08:29 AM

I've just read through eight pages of total procrastination, if you don't do something soon you will be able to sweep it off your drive into a bucket!

Put it on an eBay auction, you'll be amazed how much people will pay for a project for the winter. I'll be very surprised if you don't get what you paid for it. 

#111 Lplus

Lplus

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 09:26 AM

More importantly, still no photographs.  Without those no-one here can give a reasonable estimate of the value if it is to be sold, or the possible costs for repair/restoration if it is to be kept.

#112 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 09:30 AM

it seems to me that as these cars get more and more rare over time the value of your one can only improve if you put the effort and/or money in to it

so reading the first page when you said £2.5k to repair to me that actually seems pretty reasonable (if perhaps a bit optimistic)

this is why lot of classic car owners purchase a mig welder and learn how to use it, new panels are actually not that expensive even if you go heritage and if you read through a lot of other build diaries you can see lots of examples ranging from replacing the easier external bits like on mine, to full blown bracing up and cutting out major structural pieces (which isn't really any more complicated to be honest it just requires a bit of foresight / care and attention)

if you're going to pay someone to rebuild a classic car for you, first thing to accept is it's going to be very expensive, but then what's the alternative, buy one that's already built?  have a look on classic car auctions https://www.carandcl...om/car/C1487272  it's not going to be any cheaper really is it

Edited by stuart bowes, 11 August 2022 - 09:31 AM.

#113 Lplus

Lplus

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 01:16 PM

More importantly, still no photographs.  Without those no-one here can give a reasonable estimate of the value if it is to be sold, or the possible costs for repair/restoration if it is to be kept.

Belay that comment - photos found here ;- https://www.theminif...-with-ac/page-2

#114 RossTcm

RossTcm

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 04:16 PM

Hi All

I have just stumbled across this post after a period of inactivity on the forum and read it with shock and sadness.

However as some have said there are two sides to every story, so to clarify some points.... bearing in mind that this was also taken to small claims court and rejected.

1 - Regarding my charges for recovery. They are deemed perfectly acceptable by both law and many other customers I have provided this service for. Calculated on a time taken basis at my hourly rate and wear and tear / mileage. I do not offer a price match policy against recovery companies, certainly not after the event.

2- My so called low ball offer for the car.
I explained to the customer that the cars value to me, on the basis I would need to invest time and effort into either breaking the car or restoring it. Would only be a few hundred pounds over and above my outstanding charges so totalling around £5-600. I therefore suggested in the same conversation that he would be better off either auctioning the car or breaking it for parts himself !!! Completely transparent and as always with the customers best interests put first !!

3 - My £7000 watch !!!!
Oh how that smarts !!! It was a actually a £3000 watch that was a multi person gift from my family as a 40th Birthday Present !!! If only my long hours, hard work and the trials and tribulations of being a self employed family man allowed me to be so frivolous that I'd buy such a thing, I'm more of the ilk that If I found myself with disposable income within the business I would reinvest it in the business !! As I have over the 8 years I have been in these premises !!

And that's about all there is to say on the previous matter. It's not up for debate.

Now as I'm still a born mini fanatic and hate to see these cars that I love so much go to waste I will go a step further and say I am still more than willing to help, even after all this !!

So therefore at a mutually convenient time to be arranged between myself and the customer I would be happy to collect said car from the customer and I will fully assess and estimate the repairs needed to the car as it stands now 3 years on.
If it transpires that the project is still not viable for the customer I will return the car to the customers address again.

I will offer this completely FOC !!

This is purely a gesture of goodwill from a reputable business that values its reputation and is staggered that it's been drawn into such disrepute in the public domain unknowingly.

So I shall leave this here with well wishes for all and in the hope this finally helps one way or another in moving the customers project forward.

#115 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 August 2022 - 04:21 PM

Cannot be much fairer than that,generous offer.Steve..

#116 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 06:04 PM

A reasoned reply

I wouldn’t normally reply again as this is between you and the OP but as you specifically mentioned a point from one of my posts I should respond.

And reading back the watch comment feels like a cheap shot, apologies, I can’t remember the context I heard the ‘rumour’ in but it didn’t really need posting here. Although I still stand by £7k being too much to spend on a watch 😄

#117 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 August 2022 - 05:27 PM

I would easily give you more thank 200 for that thing

#118 Lplus

Lplus

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 20 August 2022 - 09:04 PM

I would easily give you more thank 200 for that thing

Probably lots of people would, but not traders/restorers who have to account for their every hour when fixing restoring minis as their day job.  Hence the suggestion to auction it.  There's plenty of enthusiasts who would be prepared to eat the costs or do it themselves to own a mini, and they would probably pay well over a grand for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users