20 replies to this topic

#1 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:30 AM

I went and saw this mini, the price is decent and we were already in Napoli (I live in Rome).

I was excited because it said it was a 35th anniversary, but I am starting to think that isnt the case. 

https://www.subito.i...i-290754728.htm

I tried to pull the engine ID, but the plate was missing when I looked. I also could not see the VIN, but asked the owner to take another look. 

the interior is NOT leather like I thought all 35Anni ones were, and the grill and dash are Innocenti style. Also, the "title" says it is 39kw, which is not the 35 anniversary power level, though I wouldnt put it past an Italian mistake. No other badges or stickers, other than the one on the hood (red mini). The steering wheel says MINI on it, not cooper or something else that a special edition would have. 

Are there any questions I can ask to try and ID this car better? Is there something I can ask for that might help me?

Edited by riktanius, 09 April 2019 - 10:31 AM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:48 AM

well what ever it is it has been changed a lot.

hard to see what the actual color is.

as you say the decals are missing.

it does have an early Inno grill on it along with the inno dash but that is not original.

the VIN will be stamped in the water channel between the wipers.. Lift bonnet to see.

#3 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:11 PM

It's possible that it was originally a Mini 35 LE, but your first problem is that 35 LE's were in 1994 not 96.

Could have been a Sidewalk or Equinox (Charcoal grey paint?) that's lost it's decals and gained Innocenti parts, but with the cream velour (?) interior I would more inclined to say it's a late Mayfair, the bonnet badge ties with that too. 

It does not look like a Mini Cooper 35 LE at all, that is a different thing (and why you could be thinking it should have leather seats). They're either Almond Green or Flame Red and had loads of interior and exterior touches for the LE. I can't see any sign of any Cooper 35 LE things so I think its 100% certain not to be one of those. Even if it was there's nothing left of what would make it a C35...

The Wikipedia listing of all the LE's may help you work out what it is for real. https://en.wikipedia...imited_editions

If the bodywork is ok (cant tell from the pictures) and it runs ok, that's not a terrible price for a 96 Mini...

Good Luck.

#4 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:20 PM

It's possible that it was originally a Mini 35 LE, but your first problem is that 35 LE's were in 1994 not 96.

Could have been a Sidewalk or Equinox (Charcoal grey paint?) that's lost it's decals and gained Innocenti parts, but with the cream velour (?) interior I would more inclined to say it's a late Mayfair, the bonnet badge ties with that too. 

It does not look like a Mini Cooper 35 LE at all, that is a different thing (and why you could be thinking it should have leather seats). They're either Almond Green or Flame Red and had loads of interior and exterior touches for the LE. I can't see any sign of any Cooper 35 LE things so I think its 100% certain not to be one of those. Even if it was there's nothing left of what would make it a C35...

The Wikipedia listing of all the LE's may help you work out what it is for real. https://en.wikipedia...imited_editions

If the bodywork is ok (cant tell from the pictures) and it runs ok, that's not a terrible price for a 96 Mini...

Good Luck.

Yeah, it isnt bad, but anything I can find out will help me with maintenance and HOPEFULLY help me negotiate the price a little. 

There is a small amount of surface rust in areas, some rust at the bottom of the doors, a little in the trunk and floors, and then the roof fabric needs work. Nothing that bad with the rust that I saw the first time I looked at it. Italian Minis seem to do well in the south without the snow and salt.

It hasn't been driven in nearly a year though, so I worry that there might be more issues under the hood/wings that will need love. 

#5 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:27 PM

Looks like a Charcoal Grey Sidewalk, but as far as I'm aware the Sidewalk was UK only. As mentioned above there is no Sidewalk interior or decals i.e. anything that a Sidewalk has. As mentioned above that grey velour/cord upholstery looks like a Mayfair. 

#6 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:52 PM

It won't have an engine ID plate - the injection engines had the engine number stamped - badly - into the block - exactly where the riveted plate you were expecting would be - trouble being a bit of age, muck and rust and it's all but invisible - it's there though...

There was a cooper 35 LE but only for the UK & Japan - this one - my guess would be that it started life as a '96 charcoal equinox LE - with decals removed,  an interior change and some italian retro trick bits - nice though and price is decent.....

Google translate up to it's usual tricks car apparently has those pesky "stereo usb tyres"....

#7 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:10 AM

It won't have an engine ID plate - the injection engines had the engine number stamped - badly - into the block - exactly where the riveted plate you were expecting would be - trouble being a bit of age, muck and rust and it's all but invisible - it's there though...

There was a cooper 35 LE but only for the UK & Japan - this one - my guess would be that it started life as a '96 charcoal equinox LE - with decals removed,  an interior change and some italian retro trick bits - nice though and price is decent.....

Google translate up to it's usual tricks car apparently has those pesky "stereo usb tyres"....

Thank you for the info. 

I looked and I could not notice anything. I even tried cleaning the area and I didn't feel any stamped letters. Oh well. It will have to wait til later. 

Yeah, I am agreeing with all of you... it is most likely a Mayfair or an Equinox. Either of those have the lowest power figures of any of the mini versions it could be. That is a shame. 

I am still waiting for the seller to get back to me with VIN info so we could be sure. I will post back when I get it. 

#8 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:25 AM

Hard to tell from the photos but I think it has an open classic interior. If so you are looking at a Classic 35, a  special edition for Italy only. It is like a British Open Classic with different decals. I don't know what colours they came in.

Just found this

https://www.autobell...ry_186663.xhtml

Edited by viz139, 10 April 2019 - 09:30 AM.

#9 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:18 PM

That would explain a lot, nice find.

This list of LEs on Wikipedia states the followinjg about the Open Classic 

The Italian version also has beige cloth upholstery, without leather trimmings, also prepared for a radio (speakers, cables and antenna, but delivered without actual stereo unit).

and

Also, there are export versions in existence, which are black, again, known are German and Italian cars.

so I'd say viz is likely spot on.

Edited by humph, 10 April 2019 - 12:22 PM.

#10 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:25 PM

SAXXNYAXMBD121307 is the vin

#11 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:41 PM

This site is very good for manufactures specs of all cars

https://www.automobi...en_classic.html

It list the power of the British Open Classic at 37Kw

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:44 PM

Mini British Open Classic[edit]
  •  
  • Year: 1992 (June)
  •  
  • Based on: Mini Mayfair
  •  
  • Engine: 1,275 cc
  •  
  • Exterior colour:
    •  
    • British Racing Green (HNA)
    •  
  •  
  • Exterior trim: Chrome bumpers, grille, and handles; body-color door mirrors; black wheelarch extensions and sill finishers
  •  
  • Decals/badges: Coachlines with "British Open Classic" decals and coat of arms
  •  
  • Interior: Stone Beige Countryman Tweed upholstery with leather inserts and green piping, cream leather steering wheel, matching doorcards and seatbelts, label stitched to seats reading "By Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen"
  •  
  • Equipment: Electrically operated full-length Webasto sunroof, Minilite-style alloy wheels, R552 stereo, opening rear windows
  •  
  • Production: 1,000 for UK
  •  

The folding sunroof that appeared on the British Open Classic had been an option on Japanese cars for some time.

The British Open Classic was also made for other markets in larger numbers, these can be identified by either being left hand drive, fuel injected or no tweed inserts in the seats. UK spec Open Classics were all carburetor engines but the shell is single point injection as it has the bracket on the bulk head to the right of the carburetor. Unlike most limited editions the Open Classic has opening rear windows and a two pod dash, i.e. no rev counter. The export version has a three pod dash (this seems to vary, a German version and an Italian version are known, which have two pod dashes, so further research please). Also, there are export versions in existence, which are black, again, known are German and Italian cars. The Italian version also has beige cloth upholstery, without leather trimmings, also prepared for a radio (speakers, cables and antenna, but delivered without actual stereo unit).

Edited by nicklouse, 10 April 2019 - 03:08 PM.

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:49 PM

SAXXNYAXMBD121307 is the vin

That comes back as a City/sprite, 1275 SPi, LHD manual with a 3.105 FD,1300

#14 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:01 PM

This is all the info I have:

Telaio                                                                    SAXXNYAXMBD121307
Fabbrica / Tipo                                                     ROVER GROUP ROVER XN MINI 13 I
Modello Commerciale                                          ROVER MINI 1.3
Data Dichiarazione Conformita'                           20/12/1995
Data Immatricolazione                                         26/01/1996
Data Aggiornamento Carta Circolazione             02/07/2015
KW                                                                       39,00

#15 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:07 PM

Here is the power page for a 95 Mini 35 https://www.automobi...10/mini_35.html

Says the power is 46kw

So I dont know if it really is a 35. I am thinking it is more of a British Open Classic with mods to confuse you. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users