34 replies to this topic

#1 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:21 PM

Our well designed motorways were obviously deemed to be too safe.  Thankfully this is being solved gradually by introducing more "smart" motorways. There's a good discussion about them here:  https://youtu.be/RhPcFYkbzjw  Almost a monologue really but I agree with what he says.

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:36 PM

Our well designed motorways were obviously deemed to be too safe.  Thankfully this is being solved gradually by introducing more "smart" motorways. There's a good discussion about them here:  https://youtu.be/RhPcFYkbzjw  Almost a monologue really but I agree with what he says.

Hmmm.

That's a 404 not found

#3 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:23 PM

Hmm that's annoying.  Try this:

#4 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:36 PM

They're not so smart when you break down in a mini on the M1 with nowhere to pull off. Ask me how I know.

#5 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:44 PM

Frightening. 

I used to really enjoy motorway driving in anything, even a Mini.  That's getting ruined now, "smart" motorways aren't only dangerous, they're miserable places to be.

#6 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:45 PM

I've travelled on All Lane Running, and Variable Hard Shoulder motorways all over the country at all different times of the day, night and week. Many times.

Literally ~50% of the time on ALR, someone has broken down and it's 40mph for miles. More often than not the Variable Speed Limit goes up and down like a tart's knickers, bearing little resemblance to the weight of traffic. Idiots are constantly slamming the brakes on under every gantry. Spending far more time than is safe checking my speedo.

I hate them. I yearn to get on a fast A Road where I can drive naturally. (No, not flat out, just more relaxing.)

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:03 PM

It is becoming ever more true that daytime driving is no longer enjoyable. It has been getting worse for many years, but now it is quite unpleasant. 

Nigh-time is better, especially if one keeps off the motorways.

The huge volume of ever-increasing traffic will not reduce and will continue to increase.

Smart motorways are seen as a way of getting higher traffic volumes along the motorway system without building more lanes, but the elimination of the 'hard-shoulder' will lead to accidents and, logically, deaths and serious injuries.

I am just glad that I am now retired and can choose when and where to drive. When I worked I often did over 30,000 miles per annum. I am just glad I don't have to do that now.

I do recall that we were promised that with the increase in IT, there would be less need to drive around in our cars. That doesn't seem to have happened.

Still fun to drive classic cars on minor roads, especially at night  ;D .

#8 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:00 AM

More often than not the Variable Speed Limit goes up and down like a tart's knickers, bearing little resemblance to the weight of traffic. 

The excessive fiddling with the speed limit is starting to show, pretty much anyone in the outside lane now completely ignores the signs and just breaks for the camera.

The camera's are easy to spot now, big yellow jobs hanging off the side of the gantry, plus they (usually) only have one set per junction.

#9 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:07 AM

I do recall that we were promised that with the increase in IT, there would be less need to drive around in our cars. That doesn't seem to have happened.

I know some places are now cutting down on home/remote workers as there is some thinking that people are getting lazy or aren't very easy to keep tabs on.

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:42 AM

seen in the news recently...

Smart motorways are so dangerous I've considered leaving my job

"A group of MPs is calling for a review of "smart motorways", with campaigners arguing they are dangerous for both drivers and recovery workers.

The motorways use traffic management systems to reduce congestion if there is a breakdown or crash, with a lit-up red cross highlighting that a lane is closed.

Larry Axten, who works as a recovery driver for Automania, has considered changing careers because of the dangers he experiences on the job.

The 52-year-old has told Sky News how he thinks the government can make smart motorways safer.

I am both for and against them.

They can definitely work, but at the moment they are not safe enough for both motorists and recovery workers.
Smart motorways will display a lit-up red cross over a closed lane when there is a breakdown, but I will see up to five drivers a minute completely ignoring them......"

https://news.sky.com...my-job-11634675

Also difficult for Police and Ambulance to get through traffic without a hard shoulder.....there have already been deaths after breakdowns and accidents as a result.

Edited by mab01uk, 11 April 2019 - 11:42 AM.

#11 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:57 AM

Whoever thought getting rid of the emergency lane was going to be a good idea.

Even travelling down an almost empty M1 at night, with no hard shoulder it makes you feel very vulnerable as if the car breaks you're stationary on a live lane.  Heaven forbid an electrical failure which leaves you with no lights.

#12 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:40 PM

Someone died on the smart motorway M1 in Sheffield not long ago.  Their car broke down, they got out and stood next to it.

Is that the fault of the motorway for not having a hard shoulder, or the fault of some total divvy for standing on a motorway until they got run over?

Edited by r3k1355, 16 April 2019 - 12:40 PM.

#13 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:20 PM

Maybe if there was a hard shoulder then the person standing by their car would be less likely to be hit.

Once upon a time we'd change our own wheels and carry out other repairs on the hard shoulder and it was alright, people didn't tend to drive into you.

The hard shoulder was a relatively safe place. 

#14 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:00 AM

Times have changed and even the hard shoulder is a life-threatening area these days.

You should never attempt any repairs at the side of the motorway, exit the car and walk a good distance away from the carriageway, do not return.

#15 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:17 AM

Maybe if there was a hard shoulder then the person standing by their car would be less likely to be hit.

Once upon a time we'd change our own wheels and carry out other repairs on the hard shoulder and it was alright, people didn't tend to drive into you.

The hard shoulder was a relatively safe place. 

When your car was Kaput on the motorway, it was always good to know that there was a 'hard shoulder'  'to cry on'.

Edited by DeadSquare, 18 April 2019 - 02:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users