Photo
- - - - -

Slight Play In Rear Hub, But Not The Bearings

Best Answer DeadSquare , 10 April 2019 - 05:52 PM

To check that it is not likely to be the whole radius arm, jack under the arm as far forward as you can, may be using a block between jack and arm.

You may have to jack as usual, block, remove the wheel to jack under the arm and release the block before replacing the wheel and testing for play.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 04:40 PM

Hi guys, so the other day I noticed I had some very slight play in one of my rear hubs, as in if I grabbed the wheel top and bottom I could wobble it ever so slightly. It's not a lot of movement, maybe a mm, but anything is too much really. 

My first though was of course a worn bearing, so I was able to source a set of genuine NOS Timken bearings from a member on here which are excellent. I've just got done fitting them, torqued up to spec, and surprise surprise, I've still got exactly the same amount of play in that wheel... I thought maybe the pin in the radius arm could be the source, but that seems to be perfectly fine, as the arm itself doesn't move. The source of the movement is somewhere in the hub.

So what could this be? My only thought is that maybe the shaft itself on the radius arm that the hub slides onto is worn? Something else to note, I can only move the wheel up and down, not side to side. 

If anyone has any ideas then I'd be very appreciative! 

Cheers 

Chris

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:52 PM   Best Answer

To check that it is not likely to be the whole radius arm, jack under the arm as far forward as you can, may be using a block between jack and arm.

You may have to jack as usual, block, remove the wheel to jack under the arm and release the block before replacing the wheel and testing for play.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,901 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:00 PM

It could be a worn or off spec hub.

#4 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:07 PM

Ok cheers will give that a go!

It could be a worn or off spec hub.

Which part of the hub could have worn though? The outer races fitted nice and tight inside the hub when I fitted them, so I'm not sure how I could be getting movement there? 

#5 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:22 PM

Slight update on this. Today I decided to eliminate the hubs and bearings by swapping them over, and sure enough it was still the passenger side that moved. I was then about to splurge on a new radius arm when I decided to give DeadSquare's method a go... As it turns out it is indeed the radius arm pin that was moving, and I hadn't been thorough enough with my checks lol. It was already pretty tight but nipping it up further seems to have cured the problem for now! Thanks for the help  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users