#1 ian2000t

ian2000t

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:13 PM

I've just rebuilt my rod change linkage using some 1/2" steel rods, and pressed in some new bushes, so all the slop is gone now.

Is there a better solution than the standard rubber bobbins to mount it back into the car?

https://www.minispar...ic/22G2205.aspx

I assume you can get Poly ones, but I guess these are probably too stiff?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:52 PM

you dont want it stiffer than the engine or it will pull it out of gear. as long as the reaction bar is well mounted all is good.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:59 AM

I assume you can get Poly ones, but I guess these are probably too stiff?

For a few years now, I've been mounting them on a 'slide'. It allows the Shifter Housing to slide back and forth, with the 'natural' rock of the engine, but has very limited twist, only what's in the rubber bush at the back of the housing and no more.

Before arriving at this, I did try lots and lots of things to improve the feel of the shift, but this has totally transformed it.

This one is to suit a Moke, there's also a silicon sleeve that goes over them to keep the dust, dirt and water out

3KldimK.jpg

#4 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:21 AM

Clever

#5 ian2000t

ian2000t

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:02 AM

Now, I like that! That's a good idea! What did you make it from? Looks to be a driveshalf end, and possible the female joint from the drive flange?

See the point about making sure it can move back and forth enough to cope with engine movement.

My reason for looking for alternatives was the rubbers don't seem to last long before they start going perished... and as they "hang" the rubbers are constantly trying to pull apart. I've thought about making a different arrangement bracket, so the rubbers are squashed (rather than pulled), so they last longer.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:26 AM

Now, I like that! That's a good idea! What did you make it from? Looks to be a driveshalf end, and possible the female joint from the drive flange?

See the point about making sure it can move back and forth enough to cope with engine movement.

My reason for looking for alternatives was the rubbers don't seem to last long before they start going perished... and as they "hang" the rubbers are constantly trying to pull apart. I've thought about making a different arrangement bracket, so the rubbers are squashed (rather than pulled), so they last longer.

Let's just say that after many many years, I finally found a good use for drum brakes ;D  I did this as a 'knock up' to test a theory, I'd like to use something lighter, but these are plentiful and work quite well.

Not for the shifter but for exhaust mountings, I've also made some brackets, that 'cup' the cotton reel mounts so they end up in compression instead of tension. That's made them last much longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users