16 replies to this topic

#1 Alphaboat

Alphaboat

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:51 PM

I'm thinking of using an inline fuel filter on my mini, it's a 1994 mayfair with a hiff44 carb. Is it worth using a filter and if so where is the best place along the fuel line to put one?

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,884 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:53 PM

I usually fit them right before the Carb.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,485 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:00 PM

I usually fit mine just as the hose passes the rear subframe. Although Chris will Give good sound advice. Neither of our positions are wrong.

#4 Alphaboat

Alphaboat

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:18 AM

Ok thanks for the help, think I'll put a filter right before the carb so I can keep an eye on it.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,929 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:40 AM

as the crap should really be stopped before it enters the pump I have one before the pump.

#6 dotmatrix

dotmatrix

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:11 AM

either place or me. but a filter is a very good idea! much easier to change a small inexpensive filter than to clean out the carburetor

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:12 AM

as the crap should really be stopped before it enters the pump I have one before the pump.

All the more reason to have a Morris Minor pump on the bulkhead.

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,884 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:08 AM

With the diaphragm type Electric Pumps, like the SU, that's asking for a burnt out pump.

If the filter blocks (and doesn't have to do so completely), it will stall in an energised state. The Coils are only short time rated, so they will burn out.

They are designed - to a point- to pass some debris without issue.

#9 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:28 AM

With the diaphragm type Electric Pumps, like the SU, that's asking for a burnt out pump.

If the filter blocks (and doesn't have to do so completely), it will stall in an energised state. The Coils are only short time rated, so they will burn out.

I'll believe you, but in my experience, if the inlet is blocked, the pump just keeps pumping away like a machine gun.

If the filter is transparent, the amount of debris needed to block it, should be noticeable. 

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,884 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:45 AM

I'll believe you, but in my experience, if the inlet is blocked, the pump just keeps pumping away like a machine gun.

If the filter is transparent, the amount of debris needed to block it, should be noticeable. 

Fair enough if that's been your experience, but I would say, that in order for it to pump away like that, either there's another fault or air is getting in on the suction side somewhere.

My own experience, both on my own cars and those of customers (when in the trade) is they do burn out.

" Blockage

Should the pump labour whether the fuel tank line is connected or not, then there is blockage in the suction side of the pump and the first stage is to clean the fuel filters in the pump. If the pump then strokes freely while still disconnected and labours on re-coupling the fuel tank line, then there is obstruction in that fuel line which can best be cleaned by cleaning the fuel tank and fuel line filters (if fitted) and by blowing compressed air down the fuel line from the pump end. The best way to tell whether a pump is labouring or merely stroking slowly (as at idling engine speed) is to feel it - if the pump is hot (taking into consideration the normal temperature and not forgetting the influence of engine heat) then the pump is labouring. These pumps will still function even when they are so hot that it is unbearable for the hand to remain touching. Removal of the end cover and observation of the contact points will also show whether the pump is labouring - if it is, the points will be closed for most of the time. It is very bad indeed to allow these plumps to overheat because the coil insulation may break down and if it does, then possibly

the most expensive part of the pump has failed. "

from here    http://www.da7c.co.u...p servicing.htm

While this guy says they will work when quite hot (and then eventually burn out) because of the location of the pumps and how quiet they run, one doesn't know there's a blockage until it's burnt out.

#11 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:19 AM

Well I can't argue with that, but for my own satisfaction, after grandchildren's Easter holidays are over, I'll go through some boxes and sort one out.

May we conclude, that there should not be a dirty filter between the tank and the pump, and if filtered fuel to the carb is required, that the place for a filter is between the pump and the carb ?

#12 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,884 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:47 PM

May we conclude, that there should not be a dirty filter between the tank and the pump, and if filtered fuel to the carb is required, that the place for a filter is between the pump and the carb ?

Yes, of course, but I think we'll also agree that regardless of where one chooses to fit a filter, it does need to be checked and periodically, replaced.

I am a believer in replacing them about once a year as there's always some tiny amount of moisture in petrol and most filters are paper based, the moisture does make the paper swell and they can block from that, or at the least, reduce flow.

I've seen the glass types that have a gauze in them (that I think you also referred to a few posts back). I'm not sure what's available in the UK in these types, but the ones that seem to be sold here and very poor as a filter, the gauze is too big to be of any use.

#13 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:11 PM

The gauze in modern glass water traps in UK is not as fine as it was 50 years ago.

#14 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:27 PM

Any recommendations on the best filters to use? 

#15 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,485 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:01 PM

Any recommendations on the best filters to use?

Ask an MOT tester for one ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users