#1 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:55 AM

Hello

I just removed the painting from the boot lid because it was cracked due to the very thick putty. The panels were sandblasted also. I plan to repair the rusty places and take the skin back.

Do I need apply some anti-corrosion primer on the edges before hammering it back ? Maybe body sealer is better for this job ?

Attached Files

#2 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:49 PM

Buy a replacement /second hand boot lid it will be the cheaper option in the long run

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:37 PM

If you are determined to reuse the original skin then yes you will need to use a decent epoxy primer and if you are not welding it ie adding some spot or plug welds then i would topcoat everything on the inside of the skin before fitting. Then fit the skin, seam seal the edges and paint.

Judging by your pictures i would be inclined to buy a new boot skin but as you are some way away from the UK and shipping may be expensive then if the skin is not too badly pitted you may get away with fitting the old one back on as you say you have had it blasted.

A good quality second hand one would be another option BUT and its a big BUT it may still be hiding rust under the internal bracing and where the lip has been folded.

#4 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:40 AM

I am in Hungary. The new skin or a new boot lid is too expensive. The second hand could be rusty also.

It looks like this after sanding and blasting

Attached Files

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:46 AM

A lot of work by the looks of things and i bet that boot skin will be really thin in places so be careful.

The frame looks bad but again it can be repaired. Lots of repair sections to fabricate from scratch but doable. Good luck with it and take your time.

#6 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 02:48 PM

A lot of work by the looks of things and i bet that boot skin will be really thin in places so be careful.

The frame looks bad but again it can be repaired. Lots of repair sections to fabricate from scratch but doable. Good luck with it and take your time.

Thanks for the advices. The boot lid repair will be my first body "project", I want to try myself on forming and welding. I hope I can show some progress soon.

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:43 PM

All of the metal you will need for that job will be 0.9mm thick.

I re skinned my boot lid with a Heritage skin and then added metal around the edges to get a nice even gap. My only concern with what you have there is that the metal will have been thinned too much by the initial rust and then blasting.

Time will tell. Good luck with it though, its amazing what can be saved.

#8 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:12 PM

First bits that I hammered today

Attached Files

#9 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:26 PM

That looks excellent, I do think that the UK mini scene are very lucky with what we can easily and relatively cheaply buy.

I'm restoring a MK2 jag at the moment and with front wings at £2500 they are nearly always repaired. There is a lot of satisfaction to repairing a panel rather than replacing.

#10 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:04 PM

I welded the first repair patch today. Welding seam isn't the best because I used low voltage but the patch is in place :)

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users