#1 jonjosar

jonjosar

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:09 AM

I've been completely rebuilding my 95 Mayfair over the last 2 years. Anyhow, I'm as far now as fitting new radiator. I didn't have a new top hose so only fitted the bottom hose. I removed the black coloured bung which was fitted by whoever reconditioned the radiator leaving the one still fitted to the top outlet.
Anyways. To cut a long story short, I fitted a temporary top hose prior to ordering a replacement with the intention of running the engine up to temperature with the temp hose, then fit the new one when it arrived. I ordered the hose from Minimine in the morning so it arrived the following morning before I got around to starting the engine. I proceeded to remove the temporary hose and found that I had forgotten to take the top outlet bung off the rad effectively blocking it completely. I can laugh about it now but it doesn't bear thinking of what might have happened. There would have been some cursing and swearing and head scratching trying to figure out why the car was boiling its guts out. Close one.

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:25 AM

I've been completely rebuilding my 95 Mayfair over the last 2 years. Anyhow, I'm as far now as fitting new radiator. I didn't have a new top hose so only fitted the bottom hose. I removed the black coloured bung which was fitted by whoever reconditioned the radiator leaving the one still fitted to the top outlet.
Anyways. To cut a long story short, I fitted a temporary top hose prior to ordering a replacement with the intention of running the engine up to temperature with the temp hose, then fit the new one when it arrived. I ordered the hose from Minimine in the morning so it arrived the following morning before I got around to starting the engine. I proceeded to remove the temporary hose and found that I had forgotten to take the top outlet bung off the rad effectively blocking it completely. I can laugh about it now but it doesn't bear thinking of what might have happened. There would have been some cursing and swearing and head scratching trying to figure out why the car was boiling its guts out. Close one.

Should have gone to Specsavers !

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:52 AM

Doh !!!

Tip:  Something I picked up from the Aero Industry (not that I've ever worked in that). I have a roll of red wrapping ribbon in the tool box. When working an anything that needs further attention at a later point, I cut some ribbon and tie that off to it, then say, before turning the key, a quick look around for the red ribbon is in order. 'Handy' what the ribbon has picked me up on over the years :D

#4 jonjosar

jonjosar

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:21 PM

That's a good idea. I've actually started making a list as I'm close enough to finishing it now. Up to now, a list wasnt possible as it would just read "everything". I will do a final spanner front to back

#5 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:56 PM

Made a right mess of the driveway that way. On a different car I only tightened the bottom trans cooler line, thinking "the tip one is so easy to reach I'll do it after I've fitted the water hoses. 3 weeks later I obviously forgot all about it, drove the car around a bit while dark, so didnt see anything dripping. Next morning was....interesting, 1 big mess of hundreds of drips..??

#6 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:28 PM

I wrap some yellow insulation tape around something that's not finished, always worked for me(so far!)

#7 leyland73

leyland73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 05:48 AM

Regarding the yellow tape and the ribbon ideas my elderly aunt, now 86 still ties a piece of string to the door handle of her Aga oven when she is baking something. She’s been doing this for 40+ years as when she first started cooking with an Aga she would forget she had put stuff into cook and because they are always on and have a vented oven to an outside flue no smoke or smell would indicate what’s going on inside hours later she would have found charred remains! Simple idea but effective.

I use an ambersill acrylic paint marker for dotting components that are good to go, especially where fixings have to be torqued up eg suspension and drive train. New cars have yellow and red dots on key components to indicate some form of secondary check has been undertaken.

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:42 AM

Regarding the yellow tape and the ribbon ideas my elderly aunt, now 86 still ties a piece of string to the door handle of her Aga oven when she is baking something.

I like your Aunt :shades:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users