4 replies to this topic

#1 Parptoot

Parptoot

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:51 PM

Hello all, I've been lurking around the Mini world for a while, contemplating selling a totally reliable, comfortable car to purchase two utterly daft cars from my youth, sort of.

The deed was done a few weeks ago and I now have a 1971 clubman hybrid thing and a Land Rover 110 V8 from 1983.

Although it was running and driveable, the Mini was put in the garage to be checked over so I was sure everything worked as expected. Needless to say, it's not quite as original or as safe as I first though but that's fine, I have history with Minis from my apprenticeship in the garage world many decades ago.

The Mini was built? rescused? from an early 70s Cooper S, from what I can make out. The original owner (one of 4, including me!) had an accident then transferred the undamaged cooper parts into the Clubman body. Again, this is what seems to have happened and it sort of lines up with the paperwork.

I'm stripping out the unwanted parts and attempting to make something that I want, rather than anything original, it's too far from that to want or need to make a proper 1100 Clubman or to go down the cooper bodyshell route.

I just want a fun Mini (aren't they all?) that is as reliable as is possible and looks good, in it's dark purple colour, so very 70s!

My next major undertaking is the wiring loom. It's a mess up front and needs to either be stripped back or replaced. I'm thinking replacement would be cleaner and easier....hmmm.

Anyhoo, I'm here and looking forward to staying and learing lots!!
Thanks,
Mike.

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:55 AM

Hi Mike, and welcome !

sounds like a couple of interesting projects on the go - like the sound of the dark purple (..although in keeping with the '70s theme, should that be Deep Purple ?..).

i'm sure you'll find plenty of advice here if you've got any questions or problems to solve, and don't forget, for just £5 a year TMF membership, you'll be eligible for discounts at a number of retailers

#3 Parptoot

Parptoot

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:15 PM

Oh?
"don't forget, for just £5 a year TMF membership, you'll be eligible for discounts at a number of retailers"
I'll have to look into that. I've already been splashing out on a few things and I' know there's more needed.

Thanks.

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:14 AM

You are most welcome on here.

A new loom looks to be a good idea. Buying from Mini Spares is the best option for parts. Your Mini will give you hours of fun.

Any problems just ask on here and help will be forthcoming.

#5 Parptoot

Parptoot

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:56 PM

Thank you.
I've got a busy weekend planned, if the loom arrives.

Identify and mark up existing messy and poorly fitted loom prior to removal then fit the new one.
Prep and mock up pipes to create new Exhaust from Y piece to system.

+ Everything else that crops up on the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users