6 replies to this topic

#1 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 03:59 PM

Final got my mini fitted with a clutch today, but it's sat for the winter with out being started due to it being in bits. When to fire it up after charging the battery and nothing no splutter Or any sigh of life. All the other electrics are working as they should. I'm a total novice with cars the clutch is my first semi successful thing. How and where do I start trying to get my car running again? As always cheers for taking the time to reply

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:06 PM

We need to know a bit more about the car... MPi/SPi/carb? What has been done up until now? Has it run before? Pics help loads.

#3 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:11 PM

So it's a 1275cc twin carb metro engine 1988 I belive it ran last year and the day I went too put it away in for the winter the clutch let go. Its taken me this long to guide myself through changing that so it's not been started since October

#4 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:19 PM

So it's a 1275cc twin carb metro engine 1988 I belive it ran last year and the day I went too put it away in for the winter the clutch let go. Its taken me this long to guide myself through changing that so it's not been started since October

#5 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:48 PM

No click from starter solenoid? Check to see if grounds are connected and check for voltage getting to the solenoid signal connection. 

#6 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:58 PM

No click from solinoid, do I just use one of those led voltage pens too test? How do I check the grounding? There's 3 or 4 cables running in to the starter how many should be live/earth? Cheers

#7 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:18 PM

No click from solinoid, do I just use one of those led voltage pens too test? How do I check the grounding? There's 3 or 4 cables running in to the starter how many should be live/earth? Cheers

Guessing the LED pen you mean is an AC voltage tester, no this wont work. Have you got a multimeter. Will need this on a DcV range. Or a automotive test probe.

The connections on the 4 pin solenoid should be white/red which should be 0V when not trying to crank it. Black should be 0V all the time. Brown thick cable should be 12v always unless cranking. Brown/Red should be 0V unless cranking. 

Colours depending on the loom you have. 

What year / Prefix / suffix is the car or can you post a picture of the connections 

Edited by phillrulz, 13 April 2019 - 05:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users