6 replies to this topic

#1 Wex

Wex

Just On Tickover

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 10:20 PM

I am rebuilding a clubman and I am looking to fit the new front subframe. I have a selection of different mounts I have collected over the years and I wanted an opinion on the best ones to use. I know people have said what ever type you use you should use all around but I just wanted to know the best ones to use.

I have solid mounts but I am guessing this would transfer the engine vibrations through the shell and would be a rough ride?

Rubber mounts I am guessing like what came off of it originally. Not sure if they are genuine or the cheaper mini spares ones.

I also have a set of Poly mounts orange in colour but these do not look as if they would be very sturdy and they are very flexible.

Lastly I was also after a fitting guide for fitting the front teardrop mounts. I can see how the top bolt fits in to the front panel captive nut but more so the bottom one that screws in from the front, i know that you can fit a towing eye but is there a large washer that would be required to stop bottom of the teardrop moving.

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:09 PM

The Mini was designed with a solidly mounted front sub-frame. This is part of the reason the handling and steering are so direct and dynamic.

The rubber mounts were introduced when the target market changed to more middle-aged female drivers in a bid to improve the NHV, even at the cost of the crispness of the steering and handling.

The poly mounts are the worst of all options. Basically they are just junk.

So the choice is yours. You need to decide what is important for your classic car. Steering response and handling, or maybe slightly less NHV, although I have to say that I have not noticed much increase in NHV when switching back to all solid mountings.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:39 AM

I have solid mounts but I am guessing this would transfer the engine vibrations through the shell and would be a rough ride?

All the Australian Built Minis and Mokes right up to end of production 81 had solid front Subframes. Can't say I notice, let alone find them 'objectionable' in any way.

#4 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:12 PM

Just a matter of choice - Solid mounts or standard mounts - having used Minis with both variants - I must say there was not really a lot in it

#5 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 11:37 PM

If fitting a solid mount subframe kit, as most people suggest, should the engine mounts be changed to solid too or standard rubber items used? Or the poly ones?

Thanks

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:10 AM

If fitting a solid mount subframe kit, as most people suggest, should the engine mounts be changed to solid too or standard rubber items used? Or the poly ones?

Thanks

for the engine always use the original rubber mounts.

and contrary to what others will say i would use rubber front mounts. with solids on the top and back.

#7 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:10 AM

Thanks

Solid mounting of an engine sounds like a terrible idea. I imagine the vibrations through the car would be unbearable. They would probably tear off too.

The standard rubber engine mounts are fine, as long as they are of good quality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users