#1 Parptoot

Parptoot

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:01 PM

And again, another issue...
The exhaust that was fitted to my 1275 Clubman was a centre exit, solidly mounted and holey system that had to go for all the reasons stated.
Too loud, I didn't like the look and it make the car buzz horribly.

A new superflow system was bought from Mini Sport to fit on to my existing LCB. ALl seemed to be gong well until I discovered that the Y piece had been welded to the downpipes. With that all removed, I had to by a new Y piece, all ok up until this point.

I trial fitte the parts on the floor and the Y piece to the manifold. Still all OK.
WHen I tried to do this on the car, I just cannot get the new Y piece to sit with the front exhaust pipe so it sits anyway near along a route where it's not hitting the body.

I have read today that the smaller capacity engine manifolds are or can be shorter and becaue of that, if they're fitted to a 1275 engine then the LCB pipes will be closer to the floor...Is that correct?

Before I buy a new manifold and Y piece, am I doing something daft or missing something obvious?

#2 71Green-Clubby

71Green-Clubby

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local Club: British mini club

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:25 PM

I had the same issue when I used a  small bore lcb I had on another car on my 1340, it was about 10mm from the floor and batt lead. just bought a Maniflow lcb with modified centre branch from minispares  and now there's  loads of room between the floor and y piece, well worth the £

http://minispares.co...px|Back to shop

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:28 PM

there are many variations that need to be considered from the inner CVs as some LCBs are shorter to clear some.

and i would use your TMF+ discount and buy from Minispares and by Maniflow parts.

#4 Parptoot

Parptoot

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:47 PM

I had the same issue when I used a  small bore lcb I had on another car on my 1340, it was about 10mm from the floor and batt lead. just bought a Maniflow lcb with modified centre branch from minispares  and now there's  loads of room between the floor and y piece, well worth the £

http://minispares.co...px|Back to shop

And this will fit up to the Exhaust system I bought without a size or clearance issue?
https://www.minispor...xhaust-lcb.html

Ah! the discount, I'll not forget that, I just hope it's been activated.
Thanks again all, what a great wealth of information!

#5 Parptoot

Parptoot

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:35 PM

Just to clarify, the system I bought has an O.D of 1" 3/4 where it meets up to the Y piece, which seems to be the norm.

#6 Parptoot

Parptoot

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

Ah, another fly in the ointment.....

Attached Files

Edited by Parptoot, 14 April 2019 - 03:12 PM.

#7 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:32 PM

The only lcb's I've found that fit properly - especially when using rubber couplings or QL5000's are maniflow or janspeed if you can still get them. I always suffered melting issues with QL5000's and traffic jams which is partly why I converted to hardy spicers, give more clearance too.

#8 Parptoot

Parptoot

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:56 PM

OK, that could be good news, if I read it correctly.
A normal LCB WILL fit, even with these joints bit it's tight, as per my picture above.
Or, do you mean I'd need to get the 'special' LCB with the reshaped pipes, which is more expensive, of course it is :)

#9 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:06 PM

I've run a 1275 with janspeed lcb and your type joints with no issues, and a maniflow large bore long 3:1 manifold with your joints with no clearance issues.
I've used cheap lcb's that foul body, subframe and drive shaft joints.
You tend to get what you pay for I'm afraid. 1275 lcb's should be slightly longer than 850 or 998 lcb's as the 1275 engine is slightly taller.

#10 dodge44

dodge44

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:14 PM

The only lcb's I've found that fit properly - especially when using rubber couplings or QL5000's are maniflow or janspeed if you can still get them. I always suffered melting issues with QL5000's and traffic jams which is partly why I converted to hardy spicers, give more clearance too.

Not ideal but I found that if you tease some relieve into the downpipes on the Maniflow LCD when using QL5000 couplings you can create just enough 'workable' clearance to avoid the odd clatter or melting as you say. Some suppliers even say that will be the case so it wasn't unexpected. Presume the only alternative is the Maniflow freeflow (C-STR816 I think), which is generally regarded as a small bore option but given it's similarity with the original Cooper manifold may not be too much of a drop off if running only a mildly tuned engine. Slight hijack while I'm here - One thing that has become an annoyance is the baffle has shifted in the first box of a two box RC-40 system leading to a rattle. That coupled with the fact you cannot avoid the box rubbing against the handbrake cables makes for quite a racket at times. Anyone like to cast an opinion on the... how should I but it... 'ambient' differences between a two box and single box system as I'm considering cutting it out with plain pipe?

#11 Parptoot

Parptoot

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 05:05 PM

Thank for all this people. I've considered all options and have decided to use what I have plus a few mandrel bends to create my own link between the current LCB and new Y piece an the new system.

Amongst my long and varied career I spent 4+ years making performance systems for various people/teams/manufactuers so I'll have to get the welder out.
I was hoping for a simple, hassle free bolt on solution but it's not to be. Well not for less than I can get it done for myself and KNOW it fits :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users