7 replies to this topic

#1 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:06 PM

I am in the process of fitting a jig to my shell and have just removed the front subframe and laid up the fixing bracket that attaches to the large subframe bolts. The problem is this fouls on the bolts that retain the master cylinders and pedal box. How do these actually come out? Do I just knock them down or are they welded to the pedal box? I don't want to hit anything excessively if I don't need to, so any advice would be appreciated.

Column and pedals are already removed, as are the two horizontal bolts that go into the bulkhead.

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:16 PM

the bolts are welded to the pedal box

the only other fixing would be at the dashboard rail end where the steering column attaches, so as long as that's off it should come out, but may need some gentle persuasion as they can get quite corroded around the brake/clutch cylinder bolts 

#3 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:07 PM

Right thanks. That's what I thought. A job for another day. Well tomorrow. Carried on stripping the front subframe and burning out the rubber bushes so I can get the pivot bolt out. I thought it came out without when I did it years ago but maybe not.

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:23 PM

Post '76 the column bracket clamps the pedal box. Earlier cars  have an extra pair of bolts through the parcel shelf.

#5 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:48 AM

I think everything is removed so just need to get a bit of jiggling done, I think. There are some odd mounting plates once you remove the column upper bracket. I guess they have a special place when I come to rebuilding......way down the line.

#6 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:40 AM

Haynes manual doesn't have much detail on how they fit together, so making a note of how they came apart should save you some head scratching when the time comes to put it back together (..assuming of course that you can remember where you put them!)

#7 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:32 PM

Oops!  Too late. Already dismantled.

These bits.

Attached Files

#8 KTS

KTS