10 replies to this topic

#1 jonsharman

jonsharman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:10 PM

Just starting to plan the how and when of putting my 1989 998 project back together having spent the last few weeks stripping it back to the shell for a good look in all the nooks and crannies.

My question is the fresh air vents... Keep or close them off? After pulling the insulation from behind the dash away (which was very damp and mouldy) there is slight rust around the hole where that the plastic housings are screwed into. The rust is patchy, running around the hole and, on the NS, a bit over the top on the bulkhead. Thankfully the rust all appears to be surface as I have clean, solid metal after a rubbing down with a fine wire brush and 1200. Considering how wet the sponge padding was I've probably been very lucky and I'd like to avoid further problems down the line.

The car will be for high days and holidays so my gut says seal them up as the won't provide any benefit just a trap for moisture that is ill-needed. Is there an impact to this train of thought and / or does it affect the fresh air to the heater that runs from the wing? Are the blanking plates avaliable from a number of the usual spares suppliers a good solution?

Any help appreciated!

#2 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:25 PM

Hi Jon,

It's all a matter of personal taste. My 1972 Mini super-deluxe has them and in the summer I wouldn't be without them! With the rear quarter-light windows open you get a good flow of air through them and I find them very effective, not as good as modern A/C but enough to keep air flowing through the car. 

Closing them off won't affect the air feed to the heater, since this is tee'd off of the large hose coming from the front of the car.

Cheers, Steve.

Edited by Stevie W, 14 April 2019 - 06:34 PM.

#3 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:34 PM

They're absolutely essential if you actually use your car much, whether in wet weather for demisting, or in hot weather for cooling.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:58 PM

I have them blocked off, to stop that area rotting out. with opening rear quarter Windows there isn't an issue with too much heat.

Misting up is a slight issue in winter but I run with the heater on constantly once the car is warm enough.

If you need fresh air you simply open the front Windows.

#5 leyland73

leyland73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 05:31 AM

Whether you keep them or not, the inner wing/scuttle area will still rot out if not regularly cleaned and protected with an anti corrosion wax. The vents as other posters have said are essential in the summer to help cool the car and in wet weather they make a good job of demisting the side windows. If removing the vents on your car you deprive the heater of a fresh air supply and make it next to useless for clearing misted windows. Also without a ram air effect of fresh air being pushed through everything heater while driving the fan will have to be used to get any heat out of the unit, they aren’t the quietest thing!

Far better to fit a pair of front wing liners to stop all the water and crud reaching the scuttle, A Panels and the headlamp area. I drove a 74 Clubman everyday from 1997 until 2006 with front wing liners fitted. 70k miles and not a rust bubble anywhere on the scuttle, A panels or wings/front valence. Unfortunately same couldn’t be said of the sills and rear valence, despite the same dinitrol wax being used in these areas they haven’t faired as well.

#6 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:06 AM

I was thinking this morning on my way to work in the mini... If you removed all the rust prone features... How much would be left!

#7 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:15 AM

What are front wing liners?

#8 leyland73

leyland73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:20 AM

What are front wing liners?

Plastic liners that fit under the front wings like modern cars all now have. Can get them from minispares.

https://www.minispar...Wing liner.aspx

#9 jonsharman

jonsharman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:01 AM

I was thinking this morning on my way to work in the mini... If you removed all the rust prone features... How much would be left!

Well, indeed!   :lol:

After thinking about the options and the advice given I think I will keep the vents.  I intend to fit a flat face full dash during the course of the rebuild and in doing so aim to keep the section between the dash and bulkhead as clear of 'gumpf' as possible.  With this in mind I should be able to easily remove the dash on a regular basis thus making sure the area around the vents stays dry and clean.  I can then look at the arch liners as extra protection if the need arises.

The corrugated hose that goes from the inner wing up to the the bulkhead on the OS has some horrible sponge inside it which I am assuming has a big part to play in moisture retention in the vents?  I'm guessing I'm best off binning that off?  I suppose it is there to try and reduce noise as well as act as a bit of a filter but, after 30 years, I think it has new life forms growing inside it ...  :X

#10 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:39 AM

Mine had speakers fitted in the dash vent holes when I bought it, couple this with a heater that is hot no matter what, and driving wasn't very pleasant. Swapped them out for vents and improved the heater situation a bit and it's much better. Essential for me.

#11 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:45 PM

Personally i would keep them and deal with any corrosion. Once that has been dealt with, epoxy prime, stone chip then topcoat. Once thats done then liberally apply a wax based product of your choice. Once a year before winter and even if you don't use the car over the winter period, thoroughly clean under the wings, pipe work etc, dry then apply more wax based product.

It does not matter if you delete them or keep them, mini's will rust if you do not keep up good cleanliness. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users