391 replies to this topic

#46 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 08:47 PM

..so, refitted the wiper assembly, reconnected it all, and found it wouldn't stop - slow and fast speed controls working, but as soon as the ignition was on off it went.

so, out it came again !!!  i'd forgotten what fun a mini could be  :lol:  :mmkay:

prime suspect had to be the wiper park switch, so on the basis that it was knackered anyway and i was curious what was going on, and didn't really know much about how it functioned, i thought i'd open it up and have a look.

carefully prise apart the ends of the casing where it's glued to reveal it's inner workings and found the 'run-on' contact had welded itself to the live feed

EAsyTUK.jpg

gave the housing and the internals a good clean and put it back together again

NdmIWPg.jpg

refitted to the wiper assembly, retested it and all working again. so i'm back to where i was last week, but on the plus side, now have a better understanding of  how the wiper park switch works.

1LcHP3Y.jpg

by way of a change from wiper related activities, i retrieved the lower dash rail from it's home in the roof trusses to give it a clean up and found that it's actually dark blue and not black as i had thought.  wish i'd known that before i went to Bingley as i would have kept an eye out for a black one.  

Still, it's better than nothing and should be a pretty easy swap out down the line

VEdb2Q3.jpg

Edited by KTS, 11 March 2020 - 08:54 PM.

#47 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:35 PM

had some time off today so decided to tackle the radius arms with a view to fitting these

B5BHbS2.jpg

so dropped the subframe, removed the radius arms, pulled the pivot pins and cleaned all the grease off to find that instead of bush at the outer end they have bearings set into what looks to be a pressed insert

ySaMPpW.jpg

n2VdIWh.jpg

the grease tubes that are fitted appear to be in good order, so rather than make work for myself i'll save swapping them over for another day.

the radius arms were replaced in 2003 (at a cost of £25 each!!), but have done very few miles so I wasn't planning on needing to replace them.  fortunately despite being sat unused since 2009 the pivots pins are in pretty good shape - some surface marking where they been sat, but serviceable.  I'll mark them and refit them  rotated 180degrees when they go back. 

EqIS6Ya.jpg

something i did notice when pulling the subframe out was that I could only just get a socket on the heads of off side heel board bolts, but there was plenty of room on the nearside ones.  closer inspection with the radius arms and brackets off the subframe showed the trunnion wasn't pulled in tight enough to the subframe on that side

5BbkWFp.jpg 

..because the reinforcing plate round where the trunnion locates in the subframe is slightly off-centred so will need relieving 

cfrda8G.jpg

whilst i was doing that lot i had the brass brake line unions in the acid bath for a soak

before

vbbgUWS.jpg

after

0hOGQXH.jpg

followed by a scrub with a toohtbrush

3D4D9jv.jpg

and finally, an old suede brush 

jhRoRed.jpg

#48 tankertanker

tankertanker

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:51 PM

That's more pleasing to the eye than toilet rolls :)

#49 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:51 PM

continuing on with the theme of trying to get things to fit :  the fuel tank

the problem this time was with the tank correctly located in it's fixings, the neck wouldn't line up with the aperture in the side panel

qy4h2jcl.jpg UIYXZW7l.jpg

so i strapped the tank down to the engine hoist so i could tension the neck in the direction it needed to move and pounded the bottom of the neck with a brass drift to get the adjustment i needed - quite a bit was needed in the end

uQUy8gil.jpg RANXpnVl.jpg 08fkw9Al.jpg

and now it fits  :D

odlwhqll.jpg nSMwE5Ll.jpg

Fuel line got some attention too;  there'll be an electric pump on the rear subframe so the needed to marry up the hardline to where the fuel pump fittings will be.  I've ordered a pipe bender but it seems to be lost in the post somewhere so ended up doing it all by hand

pCNnsVCl.jpg

#50 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 08 April 2020 - 10:08 PM

Can you post a picture of the pump in place on the subframe. I need to do a similar thing just want some ideas

#51 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 10:12 PM

next up was making up brackets for some fittings - i had lined up a local fabricators to do the work, but sadly they're unable to do it under the current circumstances so i thought i'd better do it myself, so ordered some 2mm stainless plate and cracked on

air horn pump bracket to fit to a set of existing holes in the inner wing

CPFlk9jl.jpg vg62GPgl.jpg

..and some simpler ones for reverse and fog light mounts

IffPFSel.jpg JodMSFBl.jpg

Also cleaned up the air ducting, which fortunately is still in pretty good shape, decided it needed some kind of funnel at the intake end to help with airflow when on the move so ordered an intake duct.  Pleasantly surprised to discover that the grommet that normally fits around the neck of he fuel tank makes a perfect adaptor to connect the fresh air ducting to the inlet duct.  :proud: 

T2cNbqNl.jpg

i'm assuming the inlet duct will need some modifying to fit around the starter motor, but it should go

#52 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:11 PM

Can you post a picture of the pump in place on the subframe. I need to do a similar thing just want some ideas

here you go - shocking picture, but you get the idea  :D

H7Oc8PJl.jpg

#53 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 02:48 PM

Really nice progress on this.

#54 wingnut

wingnut

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 03:20 PM

Looking good, things are moving along nicely with this.I spy a Norfolk registration on this

#55 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 04:23 PM

Looking good, things are moving along nicely with this.I spy a Norfolk registration on this

thanks.  moving slowly in the right direction...

i bought it from a chap in Swanton Morley, so quite possibly had never been out of the county before  :ohno:

#56 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for that. Why are you going electric fuel pump? Is it sited just below the tank and gravity fed? Are you putting baffles in the tank or swirl pot etc?

#57 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:21 PM

i decided on ditching the mechanical pump as i'm conscious of issues others have reported with mechanical pumps failing and leaking fuel into the sump and/or the arm that drives off the cam shaft failing and dropping into the gearbox.

also means the fuel lines can be kept a sensible distance from the exhaust manifold and if i do need to replace a fuel pump i can do it in relative ease and comfort lying flat on my back under the car.  makes draining the tank alot easier too  :proud:

the pump is lower than the tank, so, yes gravity fed

as for baffles and swirl pots; are they more appropriate for fuel injection setups ?  this'll be feeding an HIF44 at 3-4.5psi so not sure i need anything like that.  given the output pressure i'm not even sure i need to bother with a pressure regulator 

#58 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 12 April 2020 - 08:32 PM

All the early minis had an electric pump down in the rear subframe. As KTS mentioned, no extra baffles/swirl pots needed. 

#59 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 08:24 AM

Ok timmy. Mine is going injection so will be high pressure. Is that still ok?

#60 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 13 April 2020 - 10:15 AM

If you had a sedan I’d suggest an SPI tank, but haven’t seen any pickups with injection. Might be worth asking in the tech section

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pickup

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users