Photo
- - - - -

When Did They Put Catalytic Converter On Minis?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Andy64

Andy64

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:21 PM

Hi
I wonder if you could advise me please. I’m looking at buying a Rover mini 1992 (November) Cooper with spi injection. The current owners states it not a catalytic converter model. Is this correct, as I understand cats were on rover minis in 1992.

Thanks
Andy

#2 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:32 PM

It was standard on the RSP cooper (and all subsequent Coopers), and optional on other minis, however my understanding is that you don't need one fitted to a carb cooper for the MOT.

I believe all injection minis had a catalyst as standard, and I'm not sure you'd get one through an MOT without one (at least I couldn't with my 94 cooper).

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:34 PM

You can get a non cat exhaust and the car will still pass. My 1993 sprite has been decatted it runs well

#4 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:28 PM

run down your mot station and ask them, as it will be up to them .. would not worrie about having one...

#5 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:59 PM

If it left the factory with a cat it should retain the cat for mot.

Attached Files

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:37 PM

Not true with an SPI mini. The only minis that need them are MPIs

#7 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:32 AM

Ok, so what about the bit in the testers manual stating "emission control ťequipment fitted by the manufacturer that is missing" being a major defect, or am I missing something?

Edited by imack, 17 April 2019 - 04:43 AM.

#8 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:31 PM

Ok, so what about the bit in the testers manual stating "emission control ťequipment fitted by the manufacturer that is missing" being a major defect, or am I missing something?

As I understand it that only applies to “vehicles that must have a full catalyst emissions test” & the only classic minis that require a full catalyst emmsions test are those first used after 31/07/1995 (with the last carb model being produced in 1994) and also those 92-95 models with following engine numbers: (all of which are fuel injection)

Mini Model Code XN:

1.3l Auto TBi Engine Code X Serial No 059845 onwards
1.3l Manual TBi Engine Code X Serial No 059822 onwards
1.3l TBi Engine Code Y Serial No 060488 onwards
1.3l MPi Engine Code Z

All others only require a Non Cat Test (i.e. - CO <= 3.5% HC <= 1200ppm)

#9 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:40 PM

As I understand it that only applies to “vehicles that must have a full catalyst emissions test” & the only classic minis that require a full catalyst emmsions test are those first used after 31/07/1995 (with the last carb model being produced in 1994) and also those 92-95 models with following engine numbers: (all of which are fuel injection)

Mini Model Code XN:

1.3l MPi Engine Code Z

However there is argument that all spi models can be run without the cat as cooper built after 1992 are spi, all other models being carb

#10 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:26 AM

Ok thanks for that, so if I've got it right - follow the flow chat, if the vehicle is listed in the vehicle data base it needs a cat and full cat test. If it's not listed in the data base it gets away with a non cat test and you and the cat could be removed.
So SPI's need a cat and full cat test unless they're not listed in the data base.

#11 spiguy

spiguy

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:35 AM

This is very interesting but a bit confusing to me. I have a 1992 cooper SPi, is it possible then that this does not require the CAT test at MOT ?  How could I actually confirm this?  - where does this info (below) come from anyway?

Mini Model Code XN:

1.3l MPi Engine Code Z

My engine number is 219548, I do not know what is meant by 'Code XN', 'Code X', 'Code Y' etc. That doesn't seem to appear in the engine number on my V5

I would be very interested to know more. 

Also, I am curious on a related question - I am going to be fitting a very late carb engine, late enough that it has the crank sensor hole on the transfer housing. This will be getting built up and a calver head fitted etc. I will probably keep it injection however with it being a carb engine, I am tempted to go HIF44 as since this engine was a carb one, it would be a legitimate way to convert from SPi to carb. The carb engine is listed at guessworks engine decoder as having come with an open loop CAT - can this be discarded if I go the carb route ?

#12 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:54 AM

[quote name="spiguy" post="3593203" timestamp="1555569356"]This is very interesting but a bit confusing to me. I have a 1992 cooper SPi, is it possible then that this does not require the CAT test at MOT ?  How could I actually confirm this?  - where does this info (below) come from anyway?

Mini Model Code XN:

1.3l MPi Engine Code Z

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=#f7f7f7]All others only require a Non Cat Test (i.e. - CO

Attached Files

#13 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:52 PM

Bit more research looks like all SPI's were X or Y engine code so looks like they all need a cat.

#14 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:01 PM

Bit more research looks like all SPI's were X or Y engine code so looks like they all need a cat.

I think that the model info I listed originaly came from the MOT inspectors manual, a forum member whose also an MOT inspector quoted it here a few years ago.

& yes, as far as I’m aware it’s only the carb models that don’t require a full catalyst emissions test & therefore don’t require a CAT, or at least that always tends to be the consesus reached when the matter has been discussed here on various previous threads over the years. I’m not sure about the argument about spi models that cal844 is referring to, I’ve never heard of that before.

#15 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:03 PM

I think that the model info I listed originaly came from the MOT inspectors manual, a forum member whose also an MOT inspector quoted it here a few years ago.

& yes, as far as I’m aware it’s only the carb models that don’t require a full catalyst emissions test & therefore don’t require a CAT, or at least that always tends to be the consesus reached when the matter has been discussed here on various previous threads over the years. I’m not sure about the argument about spi models that cal844 is referring to, I’ve never heard of that before.

To clarify my 1994 sprite is a carb car(matching numbers too ?) so gets a non cat test, coppers of the same year were SPI, thus needing a full cat test

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users