Photo
- - - - -

When Did They Put Catalytic Converter On Minis?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:04 PM

Bit more research looks like all SPI's were X or Y engine code so looks like they all need a cat.

I think that the model info I listed originaly came from the MOT inspectors manual, a forum member whose also an MOT inspector quoted it here a few years ago.

& yes, as far as I’m aware it’s only the carb models that don’t require a full catalyst emissions test & therefore don’t require a CAT, or at least that always tends to be the consesus reached when the matter has been discussed here on various previous threads over the years. I’m not sure about the argument about spi models that cal844 is referring to, I’ve never heard of that before.

To clarify my 1994 sprite is a carb car(matching numbers too ?) so gets a non cat test, coppers of the same year were SPI, thus needing a full cat test

#17 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:06 PM

Bit more research looks like all SPI's were X or Y engine code so looks like they all need a cat.

I think that the model info I listed originaly came from the MOT inspectors manual, a forum member whose also an MOT inspector quoted it here a few years ago.

& yes, as far as I’m aware it’s only the carb models that don’t require a full catalyst emissions test & therefore don’t require a CAT, or at least that always tends to be the consesus reached when the matter has been discussed here on various previous threads over the years. I’m not sure about the argument about spi models that cal844 is referring to, I’ve never heard of that before.
To clarify my 1994 sprite is a carb car(matching numbers too ?) so gets a non cat test, coppers of the same year were SPI, thus needing a full cat test

However the argument is that because less well spec'd models(of the same year) like my sprite, were carb the car shouldnt need a cat fitted....

#18 Mighty made

Mighty made

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:46 PM

Mine is a 1994 carb, and came with both the CAT and the pre cat checking pipe.
Both were ditched several MOTs ago, when the new exhaust was fitted.

#19 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:47 AM

Mine is a 1994 carb, and came with both the CAT and the pre cat checking pipe.
Both were ditched several MOTs ago, when the new exhaust was fitted.

My 94 sprite should have this too, when I bought the car it had a non cat loud exhaust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users