13 replies to this topic

#1 leepol83

leepol83

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:47 PM

Hi chaps think I’ve made abit of a mistake having read a few threads, I’ve replaced the complete boot floor and I refitted the tank to get the tank strap position in on the floor, I didn’t take pictures of how it fitted before, I’ve refitted with the foam washer and rubber washer on the neck and all seems nice and tight when bolted up, the only thing is I’ve bolred it through the hole on the bottom lip of the tank and into the bracket welded to the floor, as that’s how I thought it went ?, don’t get me wrong it’s solid and sits lovely in there and lines up great with the filler neck etc, but I’m assuming it doesn’t go through the hole in the tank having read abit in to it, can it stay like it or is there a reason it can’t ? The only other thing I could do is gently bent the lip over on the tank so it bypasses the hole ? I really don’t want to have to un pick it if it’s not nessasery! Thanks any advice appreciated

#2 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:12 AM

Post some pics up, they speak a thousand words

YetI

#3 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:57 AM

Unfortunately I forgot to get some pictures ? maybe someone can show me a clear picture of how it should be ? Would be appreciated ??
Thank you Lee

#4 Pete - W.Sussex

Pete - W.Sussex

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:08 AM

See my post of 13/4 on the MPI/SPI tech forum and replies. This might help but what you have done sounds right - although a pic would confirm.

Still haven’t got round to having another go at mine.

Pete

#5 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:05 AM

Thanks Pete that’s a great help looks like you hadn’t bolted the actual tank through the hole in the tank itself which I have which I recon that’s where I’m wrong ?

#6 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:29 AM

Mine doesn't go through the hole either.

#7 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:02 AM

Damn! that pretty much concludes it ? thanks chaps you’ve been a great help really appreciate it ??

#8 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:10 PM

Hi all I’ve been up to the mini today and I’ve had a play, I can’t see any reason why it can’t stay as it is with the bolt through the hole in the tank and through the bracket on the floor, it lines up lovely and nothing is rubbing or fowling anywhere! Is there a reason this hold should not be used ?
Thanks all I’ll try and get a picture up if I can

#9 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:41 PM

Hi all after alit of consideration I’m going To remove the petrol tank bracket from the floor if I can, I’m going to try and get it in the right place this time as I’m just not happy with it at all!!!
Please could some one send me some pictures or even measurements of its actual position on the boot floor, I’d really appreciate it a lot!
Thank you

#10 Pete - W.Sussex

Pete - W.Sussex

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:31 AM

Have another look at the 13/4 thread on the MPI/SPI section - there is a photo posted there of the position of the bracket which might help.

I have refitted my tank now and I have bolted the tank strap through the hole on the seam of the tank and onto the bracket. I don’t know whether that is strictly right or wrong but the tank seems to fit fine like this....we shall see. What else would the hole in the tank seam be for if it is not to fix onto the bracket?

#11 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:42 PM

Cheers Pete, I’ve done a little more research on it and it looks like it bolts just below the lip on the actual tank and not through the hole! As you said cant see what the hole is for ?‍♂️

#12 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:33 PM

Just another quick question anyone know where To get foam strip that fits to the boot floor from, it sits under the fuel tank and looks like it might give me the position of the bracket
Cheers

#13 Pete - W.Sussex

Pete - W.Sussex

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:10 AM

It’s not foam, it’s rubber, mine was c3mm thick. I don’t know where to get one from but it didn’t help me on deciding if I had the bracket in the right place to be honest. I didn’t use it in the end - I had a bit of spare fuel hose laying about which I split lengthways and pushed onto the seam of the tank, it saved scratching my resprayed boot manoeuvring it into place!

Thanks for the tip on the dreaded hole - I’ll have another fiddle.

#14 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:15 PM

That’s a good idea with the hose I’ll try that thanks Pete appreciate it mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users