23 replies to this topic

#1 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:01 AM

Wondering if anyone has tried these new bulkhead soundproofing panels I have been seeing popping up.

http://minispares.co...|Back to search

Any good? Do they actually do anything? Currently not running anything on my SPi. Always interested in something that will knock out a bit of the racket without it being permanent or an eyesore.

#2 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:22 AM

I have the equivalent one from Mini Sport. It was a perfect match for the degraded one that was in my 97 Cooper so no issues on that front. It looks the part

I have no idea if does anything sound wise though as my Mini is still off the road and I’ve added a bunch of closed cell and MLV on the inside so I suspect that will do more ?

#3 Pete - W.Sussex

Pete - W.Sussex

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:28 AM

I just got one of these - arrived yesterday - for the MPI I am doing up. Not tried to fit it yet so will be interested in replies.

What was on the car was shot and I was very tempted not to replace at all particularly as there is sound proofing behind the dash anyway.

#4 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:00 AM

What material are these made from? Is it made from sponge like the originals or something that is closed cell. Does it seem durable?

#5 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:46 AM

What material are these made from? Is it made from sponge like the originals or something that is closed cell. Does it seem durable?

The material seems to be the same as the factory fitted ones. It's not closed cell. For me it was more about making the engine bay look as it should.

#6 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:50 PM

Smiffys Bits also sell a replacement for the MPI and Carb models and I think those are closed cell.

#7 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:03 PM

I had to go back and look through old pix of mine to confirm...what came in both my 94 and brothers 95 SPi's was a very light-type foam that looked to have been painted black on the outward facing side. I couldn't imagine it did anything in the way of sound deadening. It was about an inch or so think but had very little denseness to it. Did the MPis have something similar or did Rover upgrade it from this?

#8 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:25 PM

The MPi original item was an asbestos filled pad with a heavy vinyl cover. It was awful. Held water like a sponge! I used an updated item I had custom made, then sprayed both sides with a water repellent coating. Seems to be working well! but then again, I don't drive my car in the wet! I also use a lot of closed cell foam on the inside of the cabin, but you're never going to get great results, mainly because of the car's design.

#9 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:35 PM

Yeah, I guess anything you place against the bulkhead could trap moisture and cause rusting. Maybe best to just leave it off. 

#10 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 19 April 2019 - 10:10 PM

Smiffys Bits also sell a replacement for the MPI and Carb models and I think those are closed cell.

I’ve the smiffys bits one fitted an am very pleased with it. Nice and thick with all the cutouts in the right places on my MPI.

I wanted a closed cell type foam as the open ones are really just sponges that absorb water.

#11 Pete - W.Sussex

Pete - W.Sussex

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:11 AM

I fitted the minispares one I had bought yesterday. I can’t remember what I took off the car but the new one is pretty horrible - an inch of sponge sprayed with a vinyl looking cover on the engine side. Fits well but wish I hadn’t bothered and will probably ditch it.

#12 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:18 PM

Got one for my resto, looks the part:

jrLcHpl.jpg

Q

#13 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:51 PM

Good to know Pete. Its coming off my list for sure. That is exactly what I DONT want. It sounds like it was designed to be as close to the original as possible...which I think was a very poor design. 

James, where did you get yours from? Looks to be of a denser foam. What are your thoughts on holding moisture? Also, that resto is looking VERY nice!

#14 leyland73

leyland73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:41 PM

Got one for my Thirty, think from minisport, fitted great but much lighter than the original one. I fitted some dynamat to the bulkhead first then covered this with the new sponge. Car nice and quiet.

#15 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:20 PM

Dynamat is probably a good idea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users