Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:58 AM

Hi Everyone, 

I have a couple of possibly simple or dumb questions;

1) So I replaced the sintered rockers on the car with a set of oval pad pressed rockers (I think they came locally on the GTS). I was wondering if I need to adjust the carb fuelling too as the idle on startup is a bit shaky? 

2) I fitted a set of budget finned drums from Minispares at the rear and there's a scratching sound when I turned the wheel. Looking at the back face of the drum it didn't appear to be touching the back plate and I was wondering what it might be rubbing against and how I might be able to fix it? 

3) I asked a friend for some help and we fitted new handbrake cables as the old ones were very stretched. We swap them out and once fitted we adjusted the brakes and then the handbrake, but even after almost fully compressing the springs it isn't particularly effective. I was wondering if the solution is that I should get new rear brake shoes? 

4) The rear view mirror suction cup thing was not sticking anymore so I bought a new one from Minispares, and it keeps popping off. How do I get this to stick properly?

Thanks for the assistance :) 

Vinay

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:34 AM

Q1)   Did you adjust the tappets when you fitted the second hand rockers ?

Q2)   Have you driven the car around since fitting the drums, but it is still happening ?

Q3)   A photo of your brake shoes would be helpful.

Q4)    Is the mirror  number 4,  part number  24A2110 ?

Edited by DeadSquare, 17 April 2019 - 08:36 AM.

#3 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:50 AM

Q1)   Did you adjust the tappets when you fitted the second hand rockers ?

Q2)   Have you driven the car around since fitting the drums, but it is still happening ?

Q3)   A photo of your brake shoes would be helpful.

Q4)    Is the mirror  number 4,  part number  24A2110 ?

1) Yeah, I adjusted the rockers with a feeler gauge after installation. (Probably needs some more fine adjustment)

2) Yes, I've been driving the car since and the scratching sound is still present. 

3) Sure. I'll take one, probably this evening when I can jack up the car and take off the wheels and drums. 

4) Not quite. It's a black plastic dipping rear view mirror that isn't listed on the Minispares site. I don't think they're sold anymore. The suction cup is:  CRT10004 (http://www.minispare...|Back to search)

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:29 AM

Q2)  Finned drums were made to try and cure brake fade on front drum brakes. but if they got really hot. often, they had a nasty habit of going oval.  The cure was to fit disc brakes.

Even if you a driving down a lot of steep hills, your rear brakes are never going to get any where near hot enough to need finned drums on the rear, so I'd refit the cast iron drums.

Q3)   Have you adjusted the rear brakes to take up wear in the brake shoes ?

Q4)   I put a rubber spacer behind the top hole in the mirror so that the suction pad just becomes a stabiliser against the windscreen.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:47 AM

Not sure if you have a small or big bore engine but with these rockers, there are small and big bore types.

Either will be fine on a small bore however, fitting small bore types on a big bore head is potentially bad news and asking to drop a valve.

The small bore types have a round shaped pad where are the big bore types and considerably more oval shaped.

I've found with many of the finned drums, they will just rub on the backing plate at one point, enough to make an noise. I usually turn a little off the drum to cure it.

#6 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:40 AM

Not sure if you have a small or big bore engine but with these rockers, there are small and big bore types.

Either will be fine on a small bore however, fitting small bore types on a big bore head is potentially bad news and asking to drop a valve.

The small bore types have a round shaped pad where are the big bore types and considerably more oval shaped.

I've found with many of the finned drums, they will just rub on the backing plate at one point, enough to make an noise. I usually turn a little off the drum to cure it.

They're definitely the big bore type, the sets that I used were all from the 1275 or 1098 engines from the 70s over here. 

Thanks. I will find out if the workshop can take a small amount out of the back of the drums. 

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:11 AM

Colour the drums in with permanent marker to reveal where they're catching and look for a corresponding shiny spot on the backplate if a continuous band is rubbed out.

I think they're worth it for the unsprung weight saving - and they look cool  :proud:

#8 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

Colour the drums in with permanent marker to reveal where they're catching and look for a corresponding shiny spot on the backplate if a continuous band is rubbed out.

I think they're worth it for the unsprung weight saving - and they look cool  :proud:

Thank you! I will try this. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users