8 replies to this topic

#1 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:34 PM

So since having my car parked up for the winter it's developed a wiring issue. After some advice sort on here the other day (thanks Phil) I've got a multi meter and begun to check cables. While doing this I shorted the solinoid power supply too what I think was the contact point for the ignition live and the car started. Too my mind this confirms everything is fine other then the ignition cable which has a break in it some where? So replace this and I'm all good?
Thanks for the advice

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:40 PM

Does your starter relay click when you try and start the car?

#3 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:45 PM

No off I start it on the key nothing but if I turn the ignition on then use a shirt bit of wire between the main power for the solinoid and what I think is the ignition wire contact point it fires straight away mate. I am as you can probably figure from my posts new too this and fairly clueless

#4 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:10 PM

No off I start it on the key nothing but if I turn the ignition on then use a shirt bit of wire between the main power for the solinoid and what I think is the ignition wire contact point it fires straight away mate. I am as you can probably figure from my posts new too this and fairly clueless

#5 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:24 PM

Hi again malc, On this page top right there will be a button to follow the topic, click it and you will get notifications when someone replies. Also its best to click the quote button if you are responding to someone, that way they get a notification that you have spoken to them.

Back to the issue in hand. 

Right, im guessing you mean you put power from the big thick battery wire onto the terminal with the red and white wire , is this correct? 

If this is correct sounds like either a faulty White/Red wire ( crank) or dodgy ignition switch. Both can be tested. 

Edited by phillrulz, 17 April 2019 - 06:31 PM.

#6 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:21 PM

As Phil said above check the Red/white coming out the switch, if you have voltage there when the key is turned then you have a problem between there and out to the starter  relay (used on later cars) check the Red/white to the relay and if you have voltage there it could just be a faulty relay, which is not uncommon. Try those tests and then get back to us, if you have a spare relay, just try that

#7 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:18 AM

Hi again malc, On this page top right there will be a button to follow the topic, click it and you will get notifications when someone replies. Also its best to click the quote button if you are responding to someone, that way they get a notification that you have spoken to them.

Right, im guessing you mean you put power from the big thick battery wire onto the terminal with the red and white wire , is this correct?

If this is correct sounds like either a faulty White/Red wire ( crank) or dodgy ignition switch. Both can be tested.

#8 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:22 AM

Thanks Phil, right so basically my engine is a metro lump so the wires are different colours to what they should be I'm guessing a home done job. The cable I've got that's not right is red and brown and having involved some ones dad I know with mechanical knowledge apparently it's the energiser cable from the ignition. So I'm guessing unwrap all the insulation tape trace the wire back and cut it out and replace?

#9 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:29 PM

Thanks Phil, right so basically my engine is a metro lump so the wires are different colours to what they should be I'm guessing a home done job. The cable I've got that's not right is red and brown and having involved some ones dad I know with mechanical knowledge apparently it's the energiser cable from the ignition. So I'm guessing unwrap all the insulation tape trace the wire back and cut it out and replace?

If the loom is butchered, your going to have to trace that wire, should make its way to the ignition switch somehow. 

Could disconnect the ignition switch plug and measure continuity ( resistance ) across the switch to see if the ignition switch is working. if the switch for the "crank" position works you could have a broken wire, if the switch doesn't make you may need a new ign switch . 

Switch will have 4 positions 

-No click key out - off all switches open 

-1 click "acessory"

-2 click " Run"

-click "crank"

Once you disconnect the ignition switch connector under the steering wheel either in the cowl or outside it under the dask, the brown wire will be live and white and red will be crank. Check resistance on the switch side when you turn the key, you expect it to be open circuit and close when you turn it all the way to crank and to open again when you let go of the spring pressure back to "run"

Edited by phillrulz, 22 April 2019 - 05:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users