#1 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:07 PM

Do I really need a servo?

For a couple of future projects that I have in mind, I really need a bit of space and am pondering with the idea of getting rid of my brake servo?

1 Is this adviseable

2 Do I really have to have a servo?

3 What are the options if I do decide to remove/replace it?

4 How easy a job is it to do?

5 Is there any threads on this forum that I can read up on?

Cheers.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:11 PM

First things your insurance may not like it. You may run into problems with VOSA.

But all a servo does is reduce the input force needed. So not really needed.

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:20 PM

No servo means your you just have to adjust your driving style slightly and push the brake pedal a little harder. 

I run my Clubby on 7.5 discs with no servo and it stops nice and sharply.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:45 PM

Might be worth reading up on the local Registration Laws and Regulations regarding a Servo.

Here in Australia there is no legal requirement to fit a Servo in to any vehicle and equally, one can be removed, however, what our local Rules state is;-

" Pedal efforts for any decelleration mode shall not exceed 670 N " 

The " Pedal " I'm sure is of course the Brake Pedal.

To achieve this with some vehicles, this may mean fitting a servo of one type or another.

This is one thing that is actually checked when we have our annual tests done (similar to a MOT) and I can say, that a Mini passes without a Servo.

#5 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:29 PM

No servo means your you just have to adjust your driving style slightly and push the brake pedal a little harder. 

Ok get all that......and have decided to ditch the servo anyway........are there any threads on here telling me exactlyhow to do this, my mini is slightly modified anyway and I am running on amodified subframe and Metro GTI 8.4 vented discs.............so all I need is a guide for a set up without a servo,  etc etc.........

Thanjks.........splintercat.

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:36 PM

Ok get all that......and have decided to ditch the servo anyway........are there any threads on here telling me exactlyhow to do this, my mini is slightly modified anyway and I am running on amodified subframe and Metro GTI 8.4 vented discs.............so all I need is a guide for a set up without a servo,  etc etc.........

it depends on what you have to start with. more than one servo set up fitted as standard.

#7 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:02 PM

it depends on what you have to start with. more than one servo set up fitted as standard.

I have a standard mini servo set up, that's it. I did read somwhere that I may have to modify the brake pedal if I take the servo something to do with a different fitting?

also had a quick glance at a similar thread and the mention of dual and single brake set ups is confusing me a little? what's the difference and how you tell?

Ok just had a quick read on this subject......gonna ditch the servo ..so do I go single or dual circuit?  \if I go single  do i need a cooper s  type master cylinder as read that it slightly larrger capacity in fluid and may be a better bet?

Edited by splintercat, 18 April 2019 - 08:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users