24 replies to this topic

#16 M0U5EY

M0U5EY

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:27 PM

The sender itself is adjustable. You do need to remove it to do it, so you'll want to do it with 1/3 of a tank of less.

But, before doing that, it will also affect the upper end of the scale, so when full, were does it read ?

Didn't know that, will have to have a look when I get the time, when full it does actually read full so it's at least accurate at one end of the scale!

#17 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:08 PM

The sender itself is adjustable. You do need to remove it to do it, so you'll want to do it with 1/3 of a tank of less.

But, before doing that, it will also affect the upper end of the scale, so when full, were does it read ?

Didn't know that, will have to have a look when I get the time, when full it does actually read full so it's at least accurate at one end of the scale!

This is a sender from a Moke Fuel Tank, but for what counts here, the Mini ones are the same

AwpeP4w.jpg

The slot in that shaft allows for adjustment between the resistor and the arm, so while it is an adjustment, it does change the readings at both ends of the scales, ie, if it's reading high on the empty end now and this is adjusted, while you can set it to read empty when empty, it may not quite read full when full, but a little under.

The Smiths Gauges also had adjustments within them and at each end of their scales. If you were patient enough you can really 'tune' these in to read spot on right across the whole range - as long as the sender was in good condition. Sadly, the Nippon Gauges doen't have this adjustment within them.

#18 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:42 PM

When “full” (first time pump clicks off when filling) mine reads a smidge over half

If you've got the pump nozzle pushed fully into the tank filler neck when the pump clicks off you're miles off a full tank of fuel, probably 2 gallons short. The fuel gas to be almost pouring out of the filler neck to be full but you need a cap that seals properly or the fuel will pour out when cornering.
All mini saloons had massive fuel stains below the filler cap back in the day.

#19 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Local Club: Diss Mini Club

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:57 AM

When “full” (first time pump clicks off when filling) mine reads a smidge over half

If you've got the pump nozzle pushed fully into the tank filler neck when the pump clicks off you're miles off a full tank of fuel, probably 2 gallons short. The fuel gas to be almost pouring out of the filler neck to be full but you need a cap that seals properly or the fuel will pour out when cornering.
All mini saloons had massive fuel stains below the filler cap back in the day.

Yea, if I fill up when the gauge shows “empty” the most I have got in is almost 20 quid (don’t know volume lol) I’m aware that if I fill it higher than “nozzle fully in first click” I get a strong smell of petrol in the cabin so I tend not to bother lol

#20 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Local Club: Diss Mini Club

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:59 AM

That sounds like a faulty sender unit, or the sender arm getting caught on something within the tank.

It’s one of those things that is on a very long “to-do list” but not gonna lie, it’s fairly low down the list lol, it’s something I’m aware off so isn’t really an issue

#21 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:50 AM

Mine used to plummet from chock full to half within a couple of miles.  We changed the sender (bit of a ball-ache on a clubby estate) and it's now fairly accurate.  Now it only plummets while the neck empties, then it steadies.  After measuring it with the tank off I know that when the needle gets down to directly over 'nothing' I know there's 4 litres left.

#22 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:49 PM

Mine = A complete work of fiction (It couldn’t be more inaccurate if it was deliberately trying to tell me lies!!)

#23 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:23 PM

You can get them quite accurate, mine is (1990) but the late ones weren't very accurate when new. My time served mini mechanic knows just how to bend the float to get it right...

#24 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:24 PM

You can get them quite accurate, mine is (1990) but the late ones weren't very accurate when new. My time served mini mechanic knows just how to bend the float to get it right...

Yes, you can bend the arm, but as in post 17 ^ they are adjustable. The Float Arm is a friction fit in to the shaft for the resistor. They can and do move between the two parts. Hold the Arm and turn the slot head in the appropriate direction.

#25 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:27 AM

My 2000 MPi acts as follows: (with original and replacement sender)

Top half of the tank goes very quickly. The lower the fuel level, the slower the needle falls. To do with the shape of the tank, I guess.

When the needle is completely on top of the red line; there's about a gallon and a half left. (dipping your head a bit to read it square on).

If the needle is just above the red you have a fair bit left in the tank, but the psychology makes you want to fill her up!

Edit: Quite literally, your mileage may vary.

If you're running out, it won't cut straight out. It'll start to hesitate. Keep a Jerry can in the boot, and drive on local roads to 'calibrate' yours.

My MPI is exactly the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users