14 replies to this topic

#1 dangermouse

dangermouse

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:34 PM

:sad: mayday!! help as per previous worries about the helth of my mini i now am really worried i've replaced the thermostat and checked the radiator but no leak today i was working on it and there was water comming out of the exhaust! what the f**k! how has this happened? is this the end for my mini adventure what should i do other than pray? looking in the top of my block there is no evidence of water ie: white frothy mess ahhh please help :sad:

#2 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:46 PM

quick check as to whether the head gasket is going/has gone is to run it for a short while, then stop it and take the radiator cap offf (make sure it doesn't get too hot when your running it, a minute will do). If there seems to be excessive pressure (ie a big ssssshhhhhh) when you take the cap off then chances are compressions are pressuring the system more than they should be.

Is the water in vapour form (ie white steam) or watery?

#3 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:48 PM

chances are compressions are pressuring the system more than they should be.

ok that doesn't make sense. What i mean is chances are compressions are pressurising the system, indicating a head gasket leak between cylinder and waterway.

#4 dangermouse

dangermouse

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:02 PM

i can't get her to start at the moment she will turn over but won't fire and when the engine does turn over the water is comming out of the exhaust, and its very watery it just floods out as soon as i noticed i stopped putting water in the radiator tank, is it not starting related i took the plugs out and replaced them with dry ones but it still won't fire i guess if there is too much water in the system it won't turn help!

#5 Rob

Rob

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:01 PM

possibly a cracked head.

was it a runner before?

#6 dangermouse

dangermouse

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:38 PM

was a good runner i ran her back from liverpool, from speaking to some friends they think it may be one of a couple of things either the gasket has gone or the seal but either was i think i'm going to have to take the top off and have a look if its the gasket i guess it can be repaired if its the seal then as there pressed in or freeze droped in it'll have to be a reconditioned bottom half or engine how does that sound?

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:07 PM

What do you mean the seal?

#8 dangermouse

dangermouse

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:16 PM

perhaps i mean sill? i'm a bit out of my league here trying my best to get myself back on the road again in the month i have left before i need to be in liverpool and on an extremely tight budget so any advice or tips, as its going to be me and the haynes manual doing our best in my back yard

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:36 PM

Well from what you've said about things being pressed into place it sounds like you have been given advice relating to a more modern, wet liner type engine. Fear not, if you have an A series motor in your car then it doesn't have wet liners or any other press fitted parts keeping water in the water jacket and out of the cylinders. So the most likely thing is that your head gasket has gone. It could be a cracked casting (head or block, expensive) but that's not very common in a road car as far as I know. And generally a crack like this won't leak 'till it reaches operating pressure (unless it's a dirty great hole), so you wouldn't get water in the cylinders while cranking the starter. Whereas a holed head gasket is usually always leaking.
Changing a head gasket is very easy on a Mini, and should only take you a morning if all goes to plan and you have everything to hand. It was one of the first things I ever did to any car and it went smoothly enough for me.
Follow the manual, take your time, do it all in the right order, have the tools and parts you will need available and remember to service and tune the car at the same time. Re-torque the head after running it up to temperature once and letting it cool (important). Use a good head gasket set from Minispares or someone like that (not from Halfords or a discount motor factor) and buy a quality oil and filter.
You will need access to a torque wrench and general tools.

#10 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 10:36 PM

This may sound really stupid, but is there water in the fuel system? That would explain why it's not running, and why water is coming out of the exhaust when you turn it over.

#11 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 11:10 PM

sounds like your head gasket has gone due to your overheating going away tomorrow but if you need help ill be back thursday night

#12 Sutty01

Sutty01

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:53 AM

dude i can renember the same its ure head gasket

when buying a new one go for a tefilon coated one

as i went throught 3 replacements in 1 week

#13 dangermouse

dangermouse

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 11:23 AM

i'm going to start tonight drain the oil water etc and set up a working area and get a look as soon as i can, dan how can i tell if my engine is an A series? my cars specs are; its a 1984 B reg mini city 4 speed gearbox with a 998cc engine if that helps or i can take a picture and try and put it on if u could check it is? also where is the best place to get a head gasket set from especially a teflon if they are reliable?one bear in mind i'm in hampshire but mail order is good cowboy any good places nearby? thanks all for a glimmer of hope this is seriously appricaited.

#14 Rob

Rob

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 04:48 PM

Use payen or unipart gasket. Miniworld recomend these. Ive used FAI gaskets before and ive found there not as good.

It certainly sounds like you have a A-series engine.

#15 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:21 PM

All standard Mini's have A series or A plus engines. They are all lumps of cast iron and have no sophisticated design features. So the only way you would have a different one is if someone has rebuilt it with some exotica up front. You have an A series/A plus engine.

Definitely use a Payen copper head gasket, fitted properly it will last for ages. FAI are indeed rubbish and seem to be made from some form of tissue paper.
I would always order these from Minispares, just 'because they're reliable for delivery dates.

When you're doing it just keep everything nice and clean, and don't scratch the head or block faces when cleaning them up (they will be filthy, especially where the leak was and need to be clean to seal properly). Remember to keep the pushrods in the right order, If you don't you'll need to run the engine in a little.
Get a shoebox or something and put 8 small holes in so that it will hold the rods quite firmly, and label the holes 1-8. That will keep them in order and nice and safe. (1 is always at the radiator end, just to avoid getting confused)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users