10 replies to this topic

#1 dug1071

dug1071

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:00 AM

What has everyone used as interior lighting? I’m unsure that I want to use a standard interior light, and am looking for ideas of what may look a little more modern without going over the top.

Pictures of what you have done would be great. 

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:22 AM

I use the nice dim standard interior light in the Mini.  I find the lights in modern cars way too bright - especially when they are in front of you near the mirror - instant loss of any night vision right when you need it.  In a modern vehicle I like red bulbs as they're kinder to the eyes but my wife says it looks like a mobile brothel.

#3 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:43 AM

Now I am more of wanting to see where you have dropped something,  so I added 4 LEDs.

They were hidden under the dash,  and they light the floor a treat.  I also added a switch,  so they could be turned off.....

#4 dug1071

dug1071

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:05 PM

After pondering for a day or two, I’ve decided to wire up two standard interior lights, both in the traditional top of the B pillar location but either side, and I like the idea of separate under dash illumination by switch, so I think that’ll get a gig too.

Cheers.

#5 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:50 PM

I'm getting to the point where I hate LED lights in or on cars, especially the bright white ones. The soft glow of old fashioned lights is now part of the charm of driving an old car to me!

I like the idea of having a standard interior light on both sides though, but is the hole there in the shell on both sides? I can't remember.

#6 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:29 PM

White LED, makes a massive difference inside the car.

#7 mattj99

mattj99

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:37 PM

Here are some internal lights I've fitted to my mini

First up is the map light - this is from a BMW Mini. There are two standard bulbs, both light up when you open the doors. When the doors are closed you can turn either of them on individually.  There are also two orange LEDs which come on with the sidelights. This creates a nice ambient glow over the gear stick area.

IMG_20190419_121134.jpg
IMG_20180910_185251.jpg
IMG_20180910_185238.jpg

Then in place of the standard interior light I've got some led uplighters. Fitted on both sides these cast a nice orange glow on to the headlining.  These are an after market copy of the b-pillar ambient lights you find in a BMW Mini. This is a daytime picture but the effect is much better at night.

IMG_20190422_202059.jpg

#8 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:40 PM

After pondering for a day or two, I’ve decided to wire up two standard interior lights, both in the traditional top of the B pillar location but either side, and I like the idea of separate under dash illumination by switch, so I think that’ll get a gig too.

Cheers.

I installed a second B pillar light. Brightness levels are just right and it looks original.

Under dash lighting is on the to-do list.

#9 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:07 PM

Cheers.

I installed a second B pillar light. Brightness levels are just right and it looks original.

Under dash lighting is on the to-do list.

How did you fix the 2nd light to the roof? Is there a a cut out present like the original passenger/nearside?

#10 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:06 AM

I made a bracket copying the original one. I think (it's a while ago now) I riveted the bracket to the rail that the head liner rods plug into.

#11 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:52 PM

Ok thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users