#1 Apexhunter

Apexhunter

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:49 PM

Hi guys,

I am re-building my 1970 Austin Mini and I need some inspiration for the paint scheme on this project. Should I keep it understated and go for the classic look or go with some more crazy eye-catching colours or even a racing inspired look?

Hit my with your thoughts and ideas. Thanks.

The picture is just how it looks now.

Attached Files

Edited by Apexhunter, 20 April 2019 - 07:52 PM.

#2 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:06 PM

I think it looks nice in its current colour scheme, personally I'd stick with the classic look.

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:42 PM

The only colour scheme I have always thought about but never done is a dark red metallic with a light gold roof and gold minilite wheels. They used to both be Jaguar colours for the old Mk.2 cars.

However, I think yours looks great as it is.

#4 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:31 AM

It’s your car. Do it for you, not others.

#5 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:43 AM

It’s all personal choice at the end of the day but I do like the early 70s colours. Just done my mk3 in bronze yellow.

I was torn between that and all the other colours. Tough choice. Teal blue is always nice. Opinions opinions opinions...only yours counts!

http://mk1-performan...paint_chips.htm

All the 70s colour cards are on the above link.

Edited by Minigman, 21 April 2019 - 09:43 AM.

#6 Apexhunter

Apexhunter

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 03:24 PM

Ha Ha! Yes I know. I am just asking for inputs and ideas ;-)

It’s your car. Do it for you, not others.

#7 Apexhunter

Apexhunter

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 03:29 PM

I actually seen one in that scheme some years ago and it was quite nice. 

Thank you, however the car is going to change colour :-)

The only colour scheme I have always thought about but never done is a dark red metallic with a light gold roof and gold minilite wheels. They used to both be Jaguar colours for the old Mk.2 cars.

However, I think yours looks great as it is.

#8 Apexhunter

Apexhunter

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 03:35 PM

I like the vintage look on the Mini and Bronze Yellow is also one of the colours I have in consideration.

And thanks for the link, very inspirationally.

It’s all personal choice at the end of the day but I do like the early 70s colours. Just done my mk3 in bronze yellow.

I was torn between that and all the other colours. Tough choice. Teal blue is always nice. Opinions opinions opinions...only yours counts!

http://mk1-performan...paint_chips.htm

All the 70s colour cards are on the above link.

#9 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 04:09 PM

..if you haven't already, check out the paint jobs of the cars that ran the Betty Richmond trophy race at Goodwood recently - 60 pre-'66 minis in the field so you might find some inspiration there

#10 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:44 AM

I wish I could help you but my opinion changes once a month as to what I want my mini to look like :/

There is something special about a classic mini, slim, thin, mk1 steering wheel, no head rests, in a pale blue/grey colour.

BUTTTTTTT, I also love a jdm turtle racing mini with wide arches, custom grilles etc.

Its really hard to decide, and I understand why you want people to help out in your decision, but its gonna be 50/50. Some shows I go to, people hate me for doing what I did (just wide tyres and a racing strap in the back), but if im parked next to a lambo, all eyes are on the mini. 

#11 TRP

TRP

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 04:33 PM

Hey Hunter,

I'm in the exact same state as you. I'm struggling with paint choices for my 1960 Mk1. Not sure if this helps, but the only rule I've set for myself is to not select a color that will out date the restoration of the vehicle. So to that end, I'm sticking with a period color scheme. No Lambo orange, Tesla red, or Corvette electric blue. I'm thinking Island Blue and Snowberry white.

Your Mk2 opens up a bunch of other interesting options. What look do you like? Low & wide canyon racer? Super wide Japanese inspired? Stock? Each one of those styles will help narrow the options.

Keep us posted on your project.

Ted

#12 minitravellerman

minitravellerman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:52 PM

As others have said, it's your own personal choice.

For myself - I believe the red with black top is one of the nicest colour mix for the Mini. Red with white is so over used now I think it's now really too common and the black roof looks so much better.

Other mixes I like are Almond Green body / OEW roof (which my Traveller is), OEW body / Red roof or monotone Cherry Red (original 60s shade)

#13 Apexhunter

Apexhunter

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 05:57 PM

Yeah I feel the same way.

It's the same with Porsche, I like the classic look of a Singer Porsche and on the other hand I also like the savage look of some of the RWB Porsches. 

Perhaps I should just get one of each :gimme:

I wish I could help you but my opinion changes once a month as to what I want my mini to look like :/

There is something special about a classic mini, slim, thin, mk1 steering wheel, no head rests, in a pale blue/grey colour.

BUTTTTTTT, I also love a jdm turtle racing mini with wide arches, custom grilles etc.

Its really hard to decide, and I understand why you want people to help out in your decision, but its gonna be 50/50. Some shows I go to, people hate me for doing what I did (just wide tyres and a racing strap in the back), but if im parked next to a lambo, all eyes are on the mini. 

#14 Apexhunter

Apexhunter

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:23 PM

Exactly, I don't want to paint the Mini in a scheme that will be outdated in a year or two, I will never go with something like candy colours or chameleon paint :X

I am leaning towards the BMC colours, maybe go with the original colour of the car, which was white with red interior.

Well, I like the subtle look of a classic mk1 but again a 70's race car is also quite neat. If I should follow my gut feeling I would go with the more race car inspired look.

Hey Hunter,

I'm in the exact same state as you. I'm struggling with paint choices for my 1960 Mk1. Not sure if this helps, but the only rule I've set for myself is to not select a color that will out date the restoration of the vehicle. So to that end, I'm sticking with a period color scheme. No Lambo orange, Tesla red, or Corvette electric blue. I'm thinking Island Blue and Snowberry white.

Your Mk2 opens up a bunch of other interesting options. What look do you like? Low & wide canyon racer? Super wide Japanese inspired? Stock? Each one of those styles will help narrow the options.

Keep us posted on your project.

Ted

#15 Apexhunter

Apexhunter

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:33 PM

I agree, red body with white roof is seen to many times, especially the 90's Mini's.

You never go wrong with Almond Green but if you want the car to stand out, you need to do something extra to the car. That's just my opinion.

Decisions, decisions, it will probably come to me at some point ;-)  

As others have said, it's your own personal choice.

For myself - I believe the red with black top is one of the nicest colour mix for the Mini. Red with white is so over used now I think it's now really too common and the black roof looks so much better.

Other mixes I like are Almond Green body / OEW roof (which my Traveller is), OEW body / Red roof or monotone Cherry Red (original 60s shade)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users