19 replies to this topic

#1 venkman

venkman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:32 PM

Hello, as this forum is full of genuine nice people I've decided to start asking on here,unless anyone knows of a good cycle forum ie like this!

What I'm wanting to know is what sort of under padded shorts people use. I mountain bike as well as road and no matter how often I bike numb bum always sets around 25 mile.

The ones I have came with endura mtb shorts which were £75 total,hope someone can help!?

#2 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:12 PM

always a tricky one this, the endura ones should be good, but sometimes different people get on with different shorts better, I bought a nice set of castelli bib shorts that were really comfy, but accidently tuble dryed them a few times and killed the gel pads in them.... I got new pads put in by a place in itally ( yes i posted them there... but they are not a patch on what they were.

also saddles can make a massive difference, you dont neccecarily want a soft saddle, as the movement can make the shorts chaffe, i have a "collection of saddles, and at the start of the season work through them, as each saddle makes different bits sore... of course some people seem to be able to ride anything  with no problems .... also MTB ing you may be out of the saddle more reguarly so hget more relief than road riding, also riding tandems and fixed gears is worse.

getting some arse cream is worth while, somthing like assos chamois creme has worked well, alsthough i suspect it is just e45 with some tingly stuff in.

bottom line (Pun intended) is you might just need to put up with it til your arse hardens up.

#3 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:13 PM

Oh, and currently Im using Bioracer shorts as they do our club kit, and they are good IMO

#4 venkman

venkman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:30 PM

Thanks mini13, I've noticed the more you spend on a bike the less you get regards saddle padding. What sort of price would you pay for shorts on their own?

I live in Yorkshire and the dales routes we go on have a tendency to go uphill more than down,so still sat on butt!!

Didn't know if paying more for them on their own you got better quality, or like a lot of stuff today the more you pay just means ripped off!

Do you do on any decent cycling forums?

Oh, and currently Im using Bioracer shorts as they do our club kit, and they are good IMO

#5 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:38 PM

Singletrack world forum used to be good years ago when I was into mtb, not been on there for a long time, not sure what it's like these days.

#6 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:56 PM

these are the ones we use, from recolection I paid about 70-80 quid for them, but thats 2-3 years back, the castelli ones were over 100quid

https://www.bioracer...short-lycra-2-0

as good as they both are i have to say some chaper stuff is geat too, Ive got some long winter stuff from decathlon that is great. and i did have a set of 30 quid funkier shorts that did me proud for ages before i got tooo small for them.

Ive not really done any cycle forums, but have bought stuff froom the the uk timetrial forum,

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:06 PM

padded saddles are a big problem.

you should really be sitting on your sit bones on the saddle.

padded shorts should be worn next to the skin. if you are getting chafing use some Chamois cream. for example Happy BumButter.

now you are a MTBer so the thought of Lycra is a nono make it a yesyes but wearing some other shorts over them.

as has said what you sit on may need changing. Any good cycle shop should be able to advise. also do not disregard your riding position. as that often requires a different style of saddle.

#8 Bike1769

Bike1769

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:04 PM

I also use Endura liners under singletrack shorts. Totally agree with nicklouse . You need to be on your sit bones not the meat. I use Udder Butter to prevent chafing on long rides.  All my bikes have £35 Charge Spoon saddles which are quite narrow and really comfortable. Do any of your mates use a different saddle that you could try? If the nose of your saddle is up slightly that may be causing a problem, does for me.

#9 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:07 AM

I always got on well with endura hummvee shorts ans SDG saddles.

#10 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:00 AM

It's not just just shorts and saddle but riding position. Just checking, have you correctly set seat height, saddle forward / aft position, cleat position, handlebar reach, stem length etc? If it's a real problem you can have a bike fitting session done professionally. If you're a frequent rider you shouldn't have a problem after 25 miles, even if you're riding in normal clothing.

#11 creakyjaws5533

creakyjaws5533

My jaw needs oiling. Where's the WD40??

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:15 AM

Numbness isn’t anything to do with shorts, get a decent bike fit and you’ll have no numbness, it’s all down to how you sit on the saddle if you’re not sat on your sit bones you’ll get some numbness as you’ll cut the blood supply off ridden road for 9 years and done rides over 180km and never had an numbness issue once I’ve had a fit

#12 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:48 AM

+1 for nicklouse and MatthewsDad

numb bum only 25 miles means something is very wrong.  padded saddles are a no-no...saddle contact should be with your sit bones...sitting on all the soft squishy stuff between your sit bones is going to give you pain.  I use a Brooks B17 saddle (stretched hard leather over a metal frame) as my sit bones are wider than some.  Your saddle may be too narrow with your sit bones hanging over its width with the saddle pushing up into your soft parts ending in pain.  Also saddle position (tilted too far up/down/fore/aft).  Start with your bike on a level surface and making sure your saddle is horizontal and try that out as a starting point.  With a bit of Googling you should find all the measurements on how to set up bars, pedals and saddle with good starting points that you can work from.  It'll be trial and error to hit the sweat spot.

I use bib shorts with an insert under camo shorts with side pockets.  Bib are better than lycra shorts with insert as the shoulder straps keep the rest of the shorts in position and also stops them from rolling down hindering your ride.  As for which ones, like saddles its all about personal preference and a learning curve, you my have to try a few different makes before you settle on something that works for you.

#13 venkman

venkman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:27 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. My cube mtb and cannondale road bike both have similar seats, just recently swapped a seat post on mtb and wondering if maybe I 've got it pointing up hill a bit. Will check both bikes at weekend.

Now excuse the dumbness but what equates to sit bones as in position on saddle, no point trying my mates bike as we hit the numbness same time.

Not sure if describing it as numbness is correct, just feels like it's been kicked maybe,we don't get any tingles or such just feels tender.

I thinking maybe not riding enough doesn't help what with family and work

#14 Lord Oversill

Lord Oversill

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:37 PM

Seat height and position is critical, too high your pelvis starts rocking. Too low, knees start creaking.
Front of the saddle too high , incredible bag pain!
Off road is a different matter.
I use a Selle Italia turbo titanium saddle for road/ cross and Mtb.
Retrobike forum is pretty good.

#15 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:47 PM

Also seat width, it needs to be the right size to sit in you sit bones, you can get them measured, or do it yourself by sitting on a bag if flour, there's some stuff on the Web about doing it. Also some bike shops have saddles available for trialing,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users