19 replies to this topic

#16 venkman

venkman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:38 PM

Seat height and position is critical, too high your pelvis starts rocking. Too low, knees start creaking.
Front of the saddle too high , incredible bag pain!
Off road is a different matter.
I use a Selle Italia turbo titanium saddle for road/ cross and Mtb.
Retrobike forum is pretty good.

I've always worked on the theory of a slight bend in knees on full extension,this seems to work for me as pelvis don't rock and knees are fine. Did ride a bike home for wife which was to small for me so know the feeling in knees from riding to low.

Calling at bike shop sometime this week,he's a real helpful guy, I'll have a word with him.

#17 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

Seat height is commonly set way too low for long seated rides. Basically raise it up until you feel your hips rocking then take it down a tad.

Slightly bent knee is possibly very wrong.

#18 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:41 PM

Straight leg sat on saddle with heel on pedal is another starting point. But it's not just saddle height, overall riding geometry is crucial and takes time to get right. Start experimenting with different riding positions, everyone's different. Some bike building websites provide guidance based on the measurements you provide.

#19 creakyjaws5533

creakyjaws5533

My jaw needs oiling. Where's the WD40??

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:26 AM

For the money if you do any serious riding go and get a professional bike fit normally around £100 and they will set everything up no point experimenting with things if the fundamental position is set up wrong. You can change the saddle as many times and try all the different shorts but if the saddle is too high, too low, angled wrong, too far forward, too far back you’ll have an issue, there are so many varieties with a bike position you will be guessing constantly until you get it right and could do all sorts of damage to your body in the meantime

#20 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

here you go venkman...this popped in on a newsletter today :D

https://road.cc/cont...r-saddle-height

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users